Finding a job in another EU country

Information about Rights & Duties

Seeking employment in another Member State

Free movement of workers

The free movement of workers is one of the fundamental freedoms of the EU. As a national of an EU Member State, Iceland, Liechtenstein, Norway or Switzerland, you have the right to choose without hindrance to work in any of these countries. You do not require a work permit to do so. In all of the aforementioned countries, you have the same access to employment as nationals of those countries. This means that you and your family members have a right of residence to allow you to fulfil the terms of your employment. As a national of any of the aforementioned countries, you may also travel to another Member State and reside there while looking for a job. However, freedom of movement for jobseekers only applies for a period of up to 6 months, and may only exceed this period if you can prove that you continue to seek work and have reason to believe that you will find it (section 2(2)(1a) of the German Freedom of Movement Act/EU (Freizügigkeitsgesetz/EU)).

The EURES network, a cooperation network of European labour administrations and other employment services, provides support to people looking to find a job, undergo training or carry out an apprenticeship in another European country. The EURES advisers, who form part of a Europe-wide network, help jobseekers and other people looking for advice by providing them with information and mediation services.

The EURES portal offers self-study resources and the possibility to create a personal jobseeker profile in order to look for specific jobs.

Responsible for the content
* Federal Employment Agency * Zentrale Auslands- und Fachvermittlung (ZAV) (International Placement Service) * EURES (EURES-NCO)

Last update or date of publication