Crafts: Cross-border provision of services

If, as an EU citizen, you want to temporarily practice a craft subject to registration in Germany without operating a branch here, you must report this.

If, as a citizen of the EU, the EEA or Switzerland, you wish to exercise a craft subject to authorisation in Germany temporarily and occasionally without operating a branch here, you must report this.

The prerequisite is that you are legally established in your home country for the purpose of carrying out comparable activities.

You may only practice the professions of chimney sweep, optician, hearing aid acoustician, orthopaedic technician, orthopaedic surgeon or dental technician after you have received either a confirmation from the Chamber of Crafts that the professional qualification is sufficient or a notification that the professional qualification is not being tested.

You may practice all other crafts immediately after notification.


If you do not have sufficient professional qualifications, you will have the opportunity to take an aptitude test within one month.

If you are established in a State which does not require a specific professional qualification for the pursuit of the activities in question and in which there is no State-regulated training for the activities, you must have pursued the activities in the State of establishment for at least two years. This must not be more than ten years ago.

  • §§ 7 - 9 Ordinance on the conditions applicable to nationals of a Member State of the European Union or another Contracting State to the Agreement on the European Economic Area or Switzerland for the exercise of a craft subject to authorisation (EU/EEA Crafts Regulation - EU/EEA HwV),
  • § 9 Gesetz zur Ordnung des Handwerks (Crafts Code - HwO).

Related Links

  • EU/EEA Crafts Regulation
  • § 9 HwO

Responsible for the content
No information available

Last update or date of publication
No information available