Weapons production - Apply for permission Unfortunately this specification of service has not yet been completely translated.
If you want to manufacture, process or repair firearms or ammunition on a commercial basis, you will need a gun manufacturing permit.
The permit for the commercial or independent production, processing or repair of firearms or ammunition within the framework of an economic enterprise must be applied for at the weapons authority responsible for the place of business. It may be limited to certain types of firearms and ammunition.
Permission is only granted to a natural person (sole proprietorship). In the case of legal entities, the responsible managing director or the individual personally liable partners each require permission.
If the arms manufacturing industry is to be operated by a deputy or a person is entrusted with the management of a branch or a dependent branch, then a proxy permit must be applied for for him
The permit expires if the activity has not been started within one year of the granting of the permit or has not been carried out for one year. The time limits may be extended for specific reasons.
- Identity card or passport
- Proof of expertise (for persons who manage the business, a branch or a dependent branch themselves)
- Business registration
- in the case of manual operation: proof of entry in the craft register
- Non-EU citizens: a residence permit that entitles them to pursue a self-employed activity
- Proof of need for the granting of the weapons permit
- Proof of the safe storage of weapons and ammunition by means of appropriate certificates or safety-related expert opinions
- You are at least 18 years old.
They have the required reliability.
Above all, the required reliability presupposes that you do not have a criminal record.
You have the personal suitability.
For example, those persons who have reasonable grounds to suspect that they are incapacitated, dependent on alcohol or mentally ill do not have the required personal aptitude.
You have the necessary expertise.
You can obtain the necessary proof of expertise in the most important gun and fire regulations, the type, construction and handling of common firearms and ammunition through an examination. The specialist knowledge is considered to exist if you meet the requirements for the registration of a gunsmith's business in the craft register.
- They prove the need for the granting of a weapons manufacturing permit.
- You would like to carry out the production of weapons commercially or independently within the framework of an economic enterprise.
Deputies must meet the same requirements as you.
Permission may be refused if you are not German within the meaning of Article 116 of the Basic Law or have neither your habitual residence nor a commercial establishment in Germany.
§ 21 Weapons Act (WaffG)
§ 21a Weapons Act (WaffG)
Administrative Fees Ordinance (VerwGebVO)
You must apply for a gun manufacturing permit in writing. The application must be submitted together with the necessary documents to the weapons authority responsible for the place of operation.
If you need a substitute during your absence, you must apply for a proxy permit for this person.
The personal interview of the applicant and the designated deputy is usually required.
Responsible for the content
Bavarian State Ministry of the Interior, for Sport and Integration
Last update or date of publication