Special reporting obligation for inland waterway boatmen and seafarers

If you move to an inland waterway vessel that is registered for a ship register in Germany, you must register.

If you sail on a seagoing vessel that is entitled to fly the federal flag, the shipowner registers you. For this purpose, you must provide the shipowner with the necessary information.

The obligation to register does not exist in both cases if you are registered for an apartment in Germany.

Confirmation of the landlord


The inland waterway vessel must be registered for a vessel register in the country.

The seagoing vessel must be entitled to fly the federal flag.


In the case of inland waterway vessels, the rules on the general reporting obligation shall apply.

Related Links

  • § 24 paragraph 1 Federal Registration Act (BMG)
  • § 28 Federal Registration Act (BMG)

Responsible for the content
BMI, Dr. Laier, RL VII2

Last update or date of publication