Register food businesses

As a food business/company, if you are carrying out activities related to the production, processing or distribution of food (including e-commerce), you must register with your municipal food inspection authority.

Food companies are obliged to register and to report significant changes in the work technology process or conversions. This applies to any facility you manage or operate. It does not matter whether it is the processing, production or distribution of food. Food companies are all establishments that produce, process, market, transport, etc. food directly or via the Internet, and regardless of whether they are aimed at making a profit or not.

Food companies are, for example:

  • Companies that only have food or dietary supplements on the edge of their range, such as petrol stations, pharmacies, drugstores and gyms
  • Schools, kindergartens, old people's homes, club homes that regularly hand in food (canteen, kitchens, canteens)
  • Food vending machine displays
  • Bakeries, caf├ęs , ice cream parlours, pastry shops, kiosks, snack bars, mini-markets
  • Producers of food of animal origin
  • Fishing, crust, shellfish and mollusc farms
  • Restaurants
  • Wholesalers, transporters, importers and exporters of food
  • farms and winegrowers
  • agricultural holdings for the rearing or keeping of food-producing animals
  • Food brokers (for example via the Internet)
  • Milk processing plants
  • mobile food retail including sales vehicles
  • Primary producers of plant foods, such as fruits, vegetables, cereals, herbs
  • Establishments which supply food free of charge, such as food banks
  • Events with catering , party service and catering
  • Entrepreneurs who offer food on the Internet. It does not matter whether they eat the food
    • on your own homepage,
    • via other providers or
    • on marketplaces such as eBay or Amazon.
  • Application for registration: with form or informally
  • Details of the name, address and legal form of the food business
  • Legal form, name and address of the permanent establishment belonging to the company
    • to be specified separately for each permanent establishment
  • Information about the respective activity and the operating mode
    • to be specified separately for each permanent establishment
  • Forms: no
  • Written form required: yes
  • Personal appearance when applying on site: no
  • Online service: no


  • You have a company that produces, processes or distributes food.
  • You have not yet started operations or there have been changes in the work technology process or conversions to the information or data already recorded, or you would like to deregister your food business.


A list of veterinary offices in Schlesiwg-Holstein and further information can also be found in the state portal "Agriculture and Environment Schleswig-Holstein".

  • Veterinary offices in Schleswig-Holstein

Related Links

  • Article 1(2), Article 6(1)-(3) of Regulation (EC) No 852/2004
  • Article 15(5) of Regulation (EU) 2017/625
  • State Ordinance on Administrative Fees
  • Use the form available if necessary and send it to the responsible food inspection authority.
  • In any case, the necessary information on the food establishment must be available for registration before the start of the activity, in case of doubt, send the necessary information in writing to the competent food inspection authority
  • The competent food inspection authority shall record the operating data.
  • If there are changes, in particular in the work technology process, or conversions, to the information or data already recorded or if you would like to deregister your food business , please also contact the responsible food inspection authority.

Responsible for the content
Senate Department for Justice, Diversity and Anti-Discrimination Berlin (SenJustVA)

Last update or date of publication