Senior Caregiver: Permission to use the job title

If you want to use the job title "Geriatric Nurse", you need a permit.

If you want to use the job title "geriatric nurse" or "geriatric nurse", you need permission to do so.

  • Written request,
  • Certificate of state examination in certified copy,
  • medical certificate,
  • Certificate of good conduct,
  • birth or marriage certificate and
  • a certificate from which the current name is visible.


  • After the legally prescribed training, they have passed the state examination for geriatric nurses.
  • You are not guilty of any conduct that results in unreliability for the exercise of the profession.
  • From a health point of view, they are suitable for practising the profession.
  • You have the necessary knowledge of the German language to carry out your professional activities.


Comparable training qualifications obtained outside Germany can be recognised as equivalent in accordance with § 2 (3) AltPflG.

If you have a corresponding, completed training outside Germany, you may (in accordance with EU law) work as a service provider temporarily and occasionally without permission in accordance with § 1 AltPflG in Germany. They must notify the competent authority in advance.

Further information can be found on the website of the State Office for Social Services.

  • Health professions in Schleswig-Holstein
  • § 2 Act on the Professions in The Care of the Elderly (Altenpflegegesetz - AltPflG),
  • § 1 Act on the Implementation of the Elderly Care Act and on Training in Geriatric Care Assistance (APAG SH),
  • Landesverordnung über Verwaltungsgebühren (Allgemeiner Gebührentarif) (Tarifstelle 9.6.1) - VwGebV SH.

Related Links

  • § 1 APAG SH
  • VwGebV SH

Responsible for the content
Ministry of Social Affairs, Health, Youth, Family and Senior Citizens

Last update or date of publication