Information for innkeepers

They need a restaurant permit (concession) if they want to serve alcohol in their business. A restaurant permit will only be issued if you can present a certificate from the Chamber of Industry and Commerce about the restaurant instruction.

The principles for handling food are taught to you in the briefing of the Chamber of Industry and Commerce (IHK). Among other things, the topics of hygiene regulations, food law, beer, wine and milk law as well as beverage plant law are taken into account.

The Chambers of Commerce and Industry carry out information on food and hygiene regulations and issue a certificate (proof of information) for this purpose.

The briefing is usually held in German.

The certificate of participation in the information (proof of information) will be handed over by the IHK after the event. It applies nationwide.

Upon application, you can be exempted from catering training if you have already completed certain state-recognised training occupations with an examination before an IHK, Chamber of Crafts or a Crafts Guild and the contents of the restaurant instruction were the subject of the training and examination.

  • Official photo ID for identification at the time of notification
  • Forms: Registration form
  • Online Procedure: partial online registration possible
  • Written form: no
  • Personal appearance necessary: yes


- no special requirements

Related Links

  • ยง 4 paragraph 1 Restaurant Act (GastG)

The restaurant instruction is carried out and certified by the IHK.

  • You register with an IHK for information
  • The information is carried out by the IHK and takes about 45 hours
  • You will receive the certificate following the notification
  • The certificate must be presented when applying for the restaurant permit

Responsible for the content
Association of German Chambers of Industry and Commerce

Last update or date of publication