Veterinarian: Admission (approbation)

If you want to settle down as a veterinarian, you need a license to practice medicine.

In order to be able to exercise the profession of veterinarian in private practice in Germany without restriction and on a permanent basis, state approval in the form of a license to practice medicine is required. The license to practice medicine is granted in the federal state in which the veterinary examination was taken.

Due to the EU Directive 2005/36 and the Federal Veterinary Regulations, equivalent foreign educational qualifications may entitle you to practise the profession of veterinarian in Germany. Upon completion of veterinary training abroad, the license to practice medicine must be applied for in writing to the authority of the federal state in which the veterinary profession is to be exercised.

  • identity card, passport or other proof of identity,
  • Birth certificate
  • a statement as to whether judicial proceedings or a public prosecutor's investigation are pending against the applicant,
  • medical certificate, which must not be older than one month, showing that the applicant is not unfit to pursue the profession from a health point of view,
  • official certificate of good conduct, which may not be issued earlier than one month before submission,
  • Proof of completed training as a veterinarian,
  • proof of equivalence of training in the case of veterinary training acquired in a third country,
  • handwritten CV with a focus on previous professional training and activity,
  • Declaration of where (federal state) the future professional activity is to be carried out, and
  • where applicable, proof of the German language skills required for the exercise of the veterinary profession.

The documents must be submitted in the original or in notarized or officially certified copy (German official authorities, German notaries, German embassies/consulates, but not church parish offices, lawyers, sworn translators, etc.) are entitled to certify. Certifications are only accepted by German authorities.
If the documents are not written in German, they must also be submitted in a certified translation. Translations may only be carried out by sworn interpreters and authorised translators. A list of interpreters and translators licensed for the state of Schleswig-Holstein can be found on the Internet at .

Since according to § 4 of the Federal Veterinary Regulations and § 63 of the Ordinance on the Licensing of Veterinarians, further documents may be required, especially for educational qualifications acquired abroad, it is recommended to contact MELUND in advance in this regard.


A veterinary activity before granting the license to practice medicine or the permit to temporarily practice the veterinary profession can lead to criminal consequences in accordance with § 132a of the Criminal Code (StGB).

Further information can also be found on the website of the state government of Schleswig-Holstein.

  • Veterinary - Veterinary professional law

Related Links

  • Federal Veterinary Regulations (BTÄO)
  • § 63 Ordinance on the Licensing of Veterinarians (TAppV)
  • State Ordinance on Administrative Fees in Veterinary Administration Matters (VetVwGebV SH 2020), subheading 3.1.1
  • § 132a Criminal Code (StGB)
  • § 2 Abs. 1 - 3 Bundes-Tierärzteordnung (BTÄO)
  • § 3 Federal Veterinary Regulations (BTÄO)
  • § 4 Federal Veterinary Regulations (BTÄO)
  • § 13 Federal Veterinary Regulations (BTÄO)
  • § 15a Federal Veterinary Regulations (BTÄO)

Responsible for the content
No information available

Last update or date of publication
No information available