Veterinarian: Exercise of the veterinary profession without license to practice medicine - Permit for temporary exercise of the profession

Anyone who has completed veterinary vocational training but does not have a licence to practise medicine can apply for a permit to practise their profession temporarily.

According to § 11 of the Federal Veterinary Code, a permit for the exercise of the veterinary profession may be granted if a completed training for the veterinary profession is proven. The permit is required if the veterinary profession in the Federal Republic of Germany is to be exercised without a license to practice medicine for the time being . This is the case if the veterinary training has been completed in a non-EU/EEA country and the prerequisite for granting a license to practice medicine (equivalence of the foreign degree with a local degree) is missing.

As a rule, the professional license is only granted for a limited period of time up to a total duration of no more than four years and only for an employment position with a dependent activity.
For the granting of the permit, no proof of equivalence of the level of education with the completion of a German university degree is required.

  • identity card, passport or other proof of identity,
  • Birth certificate
  • Proof of the knowledge of the German language required for the exercise of the professional activity,
  • a statement as to whether judicial proceedings or a public prosecutor's investigation are pending against the applicant,
  • medical certificate, which must not be older than one month, showing that the applicant is not unfit to pursue the profession from a health point of view,
  • official certificate of good conduct, which may not be issued earlier than one month before submission,
  • Proof of completed training as a veterinarian,
  • Handwritten signed curriculum vitae with a focus on previous professional training and activity,
  • Written confirmation of employment from the future employer or an employment contract.

The documents must be submitted in the original or in notarized or officially certified copy (German official authorities, German notaries, German embassies/consulates, but not church parish offices, lawyers, sworn translators, etc.) are entitled to certify. Certifications are only accepted by German authorities.
If the documents are not written in German, they must also be submitted in a certified translation. Translations may only be carried out by sworn interpreters and authorised translators. A list of interpreters and translators licensed for the state of Schleswig-Holstein can be found on the Internet at .

Since further documents may be required in accordance with § 11 of the Federal Veterinary Regulations, it is recommended to contact MELUND in advance in this regard.


A veterinary intervention before granting the permit for the temporary exercise of the veterinary profession can lead to criminal consequences in accordance with § 132a of the Criminal Code (StGB).

Further information can also be found on the website of the state government of Schleswig-Holstein.

  • Veterinary - Veterinary professional law

Related Links

  • § 132a Criminal Code (StGB)
  • § 2 Federal Veterinary Regulations (BTÄO)
  • § 11 Federal Veterinary Regulations (BTÄO)
  • State Ordinance on Administrative Fees in Veterinary Administration Matters (VetVwGebV SH 2020), subheading 3.1.6
  • Federal Veterinary Regulations (BTÄO)

Responsible for the content
No information available

Last update or date of publication
No information available