Applying for a commercial permit under explosives law

If you want to handle explosive substances in the commercial sector or operate traffic, you will need a permit in accordance with the Explosives Act.

Activities related to explosive substances have a high hazard potential. The aim of the Explosives Act is to protect people and property from these dangers.

In order to avoid accidents and misuse, explosives law places high demands on the suitability, reliability and expertise of persons who want to handle explosive substances. Within the scope of reliability, information is obtained from other authorities, e.g. police, public prosecutor's office.

If, as an entrepreneur, you want to handle or traffic the following explosive substances,

  • NC powder (nitrocellulose powder)
  • Stage pyrotechnics / technical pyrotechnics
  • fireworks of category F3 and F4,
  • Fireworks pursuant to Paragraph 20(4) of the First Ordinance on the Explosives Act category F2

then you need a permit according to § 7 SprengG!

The official permit ensures that only persons who meet the requirements for safe handling have access to explosive substances.

When applying for a commercial permit, the competent authority may ask you for further information on the existing storage facilities for the explosive substances.

Valid identity card or passport

Certificate of proficiency or proven competent person (holder of the certificate of competence)

Proof of liability insurance

Description of the intended storage (e.B. technical documentation, photo proofs, storage plan)

Clearance certificate

For checking the reliability of persons from abroad:

You will need a certificate in a certified translation from the competent judicial or administrative authority of your country of origin or country of origin on certain facts that are relevant to the assessment of your reliability (e.B extract from the criminal record).

  • Form name: Varies depending on the competent authority
  • If necessary, link to the aforementioned form:
  • Online procedure possible: no
  • Written form required: yes
  • Personal appearance required: Depending on the respective competent authority


In order to obtain a permit for the handling and traffic of explosive substances, you must meet the following requirements:

  • You must have reached the age of 21 to handle explosive substances.
  • You must have a specialist knowledge. The specialist knowledge is proven by a certificate that certifies the successful participation in a state or state-recognized course.
  • They must be reliable. The required reliability is usually given if you have so far behaved lawfully and do not have a criminal record.
  • They must be personally suitable. You are personally suitable if you have no restrictions, e.B. in mental and physical health or by drug or alcohol dependence.
  • They must have suitable rooms or storage facilities for storage.

Related Links

  • § 7 Explosives Act (SprengG)

Before you as an entrepreneur are allowed to handle explosive substances or deal with them, you must have been granted a permit in accordance with § 7 of the Explosives Act.

To grant it, you must submit an application and submit all the necessary documents. The documents are then examined by the competent authority. In case of questions or ambiguities, the authority will contact you and, if necessary, invite you to a personal interview.

After examining the documents, you will receive a notification of the decision and a fee notice with a request for payment.

Responsible for the content
45-5 The Senator for Health, Women and Consumer Protection of the Free Hanseatic City of Bremen

Last update or date of publication