Breeding, keeping and trade in animals, applying for permission

For many activities in the commercial handling of animals, you need a permit from the competent authority.

You need a permit for the commercial handling of animals if you want to carry out the following activities commercially:

  • Breeding, keeping or trade of vertebrate animals other than farm animals
  • Maintenance of a riding and driving operation
  • Exhibition of animals
  • Control of vertebrates as pests
  • Bring vertebrate animals that are not farm animals to Germany for sale (tax for a fee)
  • Train dogs for third parties or guide the training of dogs by pet owners

This permission is also required if you

  • Keeping animals in a shelter or similar facility
  • Keeping and displaying animals in a zoological garden or other facility
  • Train dogs for third parties, maintain facilities for this purpose or instruct the training of the dogs by the pet owner
  • Introduce or import vertebrate animals into the territory of the country for the purpose of supply for remuneration or consideration, or place these animals for remuneration or consideration
  • Carry out animal exchanges for the purpose of exchanging or selling animals by third parties

Hint: You do not need permission for the keeping of farm animals.

  • Application for a permit according to § 11 TierSchG,
  • Certificate of good conduct
  • certified copy of the certificate of competence according to § 11 TierSchG

Tip: You can apply for the certificate of good conduct at the local registration ad authority, from there it can be sent directly to the responsible food inspection and veterinary office.


  • a professional qualification, or
  • Expertise in the field you want to operate commercially.

§ 11 Animal Welfare Act (TierSchG) breeding, keeping of animals, trade in animals

Related Links

  • § 11 Animal Welfare Act (TierSchG)
  • After you have submitted the application and all necessary documents to the competent authority, they will first be checked for completeness and your personal requirements.
  • Subsequently, an on-site appointment will be arranged with you in order to check the technical requirements.
  • If you meet all the conditions, the permit for the commercial handling of animals will then be sent to you.

Responsible for the content
Saxon State Ministry of Social Affairs and Social Cohesion

Last update or date of publication