Hospital: Private Clinic - Permit Unfortunately this specification of service has not yet been completely translated.

To operate a private hospital, you need a trade permit (concession).

If you want to operate a private hospital, you need a trade permit, a so-called concession. A hospital within the meaning of commercial law is an institution that serves the healing and care of patients and in which the patients are treated as inpatients, i.e. also accommodated and fed.

Only private, commercially operated hospitals need such a permit. Public institutions and those operated for non-profit, charitable or scientific purposes do not need permission. In contrast to these, the entrepreneur who runs the private hospital has the intention of making a profit through the operation.

You can, but do not have to be a doctor yourself. If you are a doctor, a distinction must be made between institutions that serve to carry out your freelance work (for example, the surgeon's clinic) and institutions that are not directly related to the freelance activity and are designed to make a profit.

The permit indicates whether it is used to operate a private hospital, a private maternity hospital or a private nerve clinic (or a combination of those facilities). Homes in which mentally ill or mentally handicapped people are accommodated and only occasional medical care is provided are not private hospitals.

Permission is denied in the following cases:

  • If there are facts that demonstrate the unreliability of the entrepreneur in relation to the management or administration of the clinic. As an indication of unreliability, for example, in addition to a lack of economic capacity, tax debts or relevant criminal records, the fact that you have already been deprived of a license or you have operated a private hospital without the necessary permission is also considered an indication of unreliability.
  • If there are facts that make the adequate medical and nursing care of the patients appear to be un guaranteed. Although you do not have to be a doctor yourself, you must ensure that sufficient medical expertise is available (for example, by employing doctors and nursing staff) and that a certain minimum standard is guaranteed at the medical-technical institution.
  • If, according to the descriptions and plans to be submitted by the entrepreneur, the structural and other technical facilities of the institution or clinic do not meet the health requirements. The concession is granted for certain rooms, it does not replace the building permit.
  • If the institution or clinic is to be accommodated only in a part of a building also inhabited by other persons and its operation may cause significant disadvantages or dangers for the roommates of that building.
  • If the institution or clinic is intended to accommodate persons with contagious diseases or the mentally ill and, due to their local location, may cause significant disadvantages or dangers for the owners or residents of the neighbouring properties.

Permission is granted to a specific natural or legal person. If the company is a partnership, each of the managing partners requires permission.

  • Identity card or national passport,
  • Foreign nationals, with the exception of EU nationals, also need a residence permit that entitles them to self-employment. In the case of a comparable dependent activity as managing director of a legal person or as a representative of a natural person, the same applies.
  • Certificate of good conduct (should not be older than six months),
  • Information from the Central Trade Register (should not be older than six months),
  • Extract from the commercial register (this must be provided by companies registered in the commercial register),
  • Description of the therapy concept, the type, number and occupancy of the rooms as well as the staffing.


The concession does not replace other permits and permits required by law.

§ 30 Gewerbeordnung (GewO).

Related Links

  • § 30 GewO

Responsible for the content
No information available

Last update or date of publication
No information available