Applying for an advance on maintenance for children of single parents

You are a single parent and receive no or only partial maintenance from the other parent? Then you can apply for a maintenance advance under certain conditions.

You will receive the maintenance advance for your child if you raise him or her in your household without another parent against whom the child is entitled to maintenance However, this maintenance is not paid by the other parent or the person obliged to pay maintenance, incompletely or irregularly.

The child's center of life must clearly be in your household. You must not have married a new partner.

If the eligibility requirements are met, the maintenance advance will be paid to you until your child reaches the age of majority. The limitation of the subscription period (previously a maximum of 72 months) has been lifted.

The amount of the maintenance advance depends on the amount of the minimum maintenance.

From 01.01.2022 the following amounts apply:

  • for children up to 5 years EUR 177 per month
  • for children from 6 to 11 years EUR 236 per month
  • for children from 12 to 18 years EUR 314 per month

After reaching the age of 12, your child will only be entitled to maintenance if one of the following conditions is met:

  • You or your child do not receive unemployment benefit II.
  • The maintenance advance can avoid your child's need for help.
  • You have a gross monthly income of at least EUR 600 and receive supplementary unemployment benefit II.

This ensures that all children receive a maintenance advance if necessary. At the same time, an important incentive is created for households that are not in need of help or could become independent of basic security benefits through their own earned income.

The maintenance advance is always paid at the beginning of a calendar month and can be applied for retroactively for one month.

  • Application form
    • in addition, depending on the individual case, the following is required:
    • the birth certificate of the child concerned
    • the identity card of the single parent
    • for foreign children or parents: ID and a valid proof of residence permit
    • the confirmation of registration or information on the population register
    • the maintenance title: current maintenance determination maintenance certificate, judgment, decision
    • in the event of marital separation: divorce decree
    • if applicable, letter from the lawyer about the time of the separation
    • the current control card
    • in the case of unmarried parents: acknowledgement or determination of paternity
    • Proof of income via:
      • Child benefit
      • if applicable, half-orphan's pension
      • if applicable, maintenance payments
    • if applicable, approval/hiring notices for benefits under the maintenance advance laws of other maintenance advance funds

Forms available: Yes
Written form required: Yes
Informal application possible : No
Personal appearance necessary: No


The following conditions for the granting of maintenance advances must be met:

  • Child support is not paid or is only paid incompletely.
  • Your child has his or her domicile or habitual residence in Germany.
  • The parent is a single parent (for example, widowed).
  • The parent and child must live in one household.
  • Foreign children are only entitled to certain residence permits.


There are the following notes:

  • Children between the ages of 12 and 18 are only entitled to a maintenance advance if the child is not dependent on SGB II benefits or if the single parent earns his or her own income of at least EUR 600 gross in SGB II.
  • The other parent must repay the maintenance advance to the maintenance advance office. If the person liable for maintenance does not pay, the maintenance advance office can sue for and enforce the repayment.

Related Links

  • §§ 1 et seq. Maintenance Advance Act (UhVorschG)
  • § 1612a Abs. 1 Satz 3 Nr. 1 oder 2 Bürgerliches Gesetzbuch (BGB)

Responsible for the content
Federal Ministry for Family Affairs, Senior Citizens, Women and Youth (BMFSFJ)

Last update or date of publication