Leaving the Church

Leaving the church must be declared before the registry office.

A church exit must take place in Schleswig-Holstein at the registry office.

  • Identity card or passport or foreign identity card with a confirmation of registration not older than six months,
  • if available: baptismal certificate,
  • for married persons and persons living in civil partnership: marriage certificate or civil partnership certificate.


Leaving a church, religious community or ideological community can be declared by those who have reached the age of 14. For a person who has not yet reached the age of 14, the legal representative who is entitled to care for the person (parents, if applicable one parent) can declare that he or she will leave the Church. In the case of children who have reached the age of 12, the resignation cannot be declared against his will.

The declaration of resignation must be submitted in person before the registry office.


With the notarization of the resignation, the responsible tax office makes the change of the information for the church tax deduction as a wage tax feature (electronic tax card) on request.

  • Tax offices in Schleswig-Holstein

Related Links

  • Church Tax Act (KiStG)
  • Church Exit Act (KiAustrG)
  • State Ordinance on Administrative Fees (General Fee Tariff) Subheading 26.3 (VwGebV)

Responsible for the content
Ministry of Education, Science and Culture of the State of Schleswig-Holstein

Last update or date of publication