Name change (public law) Unfortunately this specification of service has not yet been completely translated.

If you request a change of your family and/or first name outside the provisions of civil law (i.e. not, for example, in the case of marriage or divorce), you must apply for a change of name under public law. Here's what you need to keep in mind: Name changes can only be carried out for Germans within the meaning of the Basic Law, stateless persons, homeless foreigners, foreign refugees or persons entitled to asylum. Only important reasons justify the change of name. The reasons for this must therefore be explained in detail in the motion. For a limited person with legal capacity, the legal representative makes the application (father, mother, guardian, caregiver); a guardian or caregiver requires the approval of the guardianship court. A person with limited legal capacity who has reached the age of 16 must be heard by the guardianship court for the application. The approval of the guardianship court and proof of the outcome of the guardianship court hearing of the applicant shall be attached to the application. The application must contain a statement as to whether a change of name has been requested before, if so when and to which authority. The applicant must also declare that he is aware that the name change or the rejection or withdrawal of the application is subject to a fee.

Nationality card, passport, travel document, identity card, children's identity card (as proof that the applicant is either German within the meaning of Article 116 (1) of the Basic Law or stateless, homeless foreigner, foreign refugee, entitled to asylum). Late repatriate certificate according to § 15 BVFG or expellee's identity card (for ethnic German repatriates and displaced persons). Certified copy of the birth record for the applicant and for all persons to whom the change of family name is to extend; the documents must be of current date. If the applicant is or was married, the marriage certificate (marriage certificate) or a certified copy from the family book continued as a marriage entry. For persons who have reached the age of fourteen, an official certificate of good conduct. Please note: The documents should be submitted in the original. In principle, all application documents remain in the authority. The original documents submitted will be returned to you after the copies have been certified. In individual cases, further documents and proof may be required for the processing of the application. Information on this can be obtained from the competent authority.

The competent authority shall arrange for subsequent notarisation of the name change or the name to be established in the register of births and in the register of marriages or civil partnerships. It shall notify the registration authority responsible for the home of the person concerned of the change or determination of the name.
Act on the Change of Surnames and First Names (NamÄndG).

Related Links

Responsible for the content
No information available

Last update or date of publication
No information available