Apply for a children's passport

If you want to travel with your children outside of Germany, you must apply for a travel document for the child, such as a children's passport, identity card or, depending on the country of destination, a regular passport.

When travelling abroad, your child will need a travel document. There are various ways to do this in children. This can be a children's rice pass, an identity card or, depending on the destination country, a regular passport.

A new children's passport for your child can be issued on request
for the first application,

  • if the validity of the old children's passport has expired,
  • if your child's passport has been stolen or lost,
  • if your child's name has changed, or
  • if entries except for the information on the place of residence or size are incorrect or missing.

The children's passport does not contain an electronic chip.

The validity period of the children's passport is one year, but no more than the 12th birthday of your child.

The validity period can be extended several times by one year at a time, at the latest until the 12th birthday of your child.

You apply for a children's passport in person and together with your child at the passport authority at the child's main residence. You can also apply for the children's passport at any other passport authority in Germany or abroad. In this case, you will have to pay a supplement to the fee.

When applying, you must present:

  • a valid identity document of the child, such as:
    • Passport
    • Children's passport
    • Identity card
  • if there is no valid identity document (for example, when applying for the first time or if the old document is lost/stolen):
    • birth certificate or an extract from the birth register of the registry office,
  • an up-to-date biometric photograph in passport format (45 mm x 35 mm), in portrait format and without border; Frontal image, without covering the eyes and without headgear.

In exceptional cases, for example in the case of a permanent medical indication, deviations from this may be permissible. In the case of infants/toddlers, further exceptions are permitted.

  • if applicable, other documents of the child (information at your passport authority).

In addition, when applying for minors, you must present the following:

  • in the case of joint custody of cohabiting parents:
    • Identification of the person with custody present, and
    • the declaration of consent and
    • a copy of the identity card of the non-present guardian
  • in the case of joint custody of separated parents, the parent with whom the child habitually resides is entitled to apply:
    • Identification of the person entitled to custody present and, if applicable, the declaration of consent, and
    • a copy of the identity card of the non-present guardian
  • in the case of only one person entitled to custody:
    • Identification of the person with custody present, and
    • proof of custody
  • Forms: no
  • Online procedure possible: no
  • Written form required: yes
  • Personal appearance necessary: yes


Applications for a children's passport can be submitted:

  • Guardians of children if:
    • the child has German nationality, and
    • is younger than 12 years old

Further requirements:

  • Your child must be present when applying for the child's passport for identity verification. If it cannot be included, the identity check must be carried out when the document is issued, otherwise the children's passport will not be handed out.

If your child's family name has not yet been determined after birth, a children's passport cannot be issued. Excluded from this are cases in which a surname is entered in the birth register, supplemented by the additional entry "Surname not proven".


The children's passport does not contain an electronic storage medium (chip). However, some countries e.B. the USA can only be entered visa-free if the passport contains a chip; for a visa-free entry of the child, a normal passport is required for these countries.

If the entry is to take place with a children's passport, a visa is also required.

Related Links

  • § 1 Passport Act (PassG) (passport obligation)
  • § 4 Passport Act (PassG) (passport sample)
  • § 5 Passport Act (PassG) (period of validity)
  • § 6 Passport Act (PassG) (issuance of a passport)
  • § 19 Passport Act (PassG) (jurisdiction)
  • § 25 Passport Act (PassG) (administrative offences)
  • § 2 Passport Ordinance (PassV) (model for the children's passport)
  • § 5 Passport Ordinance (PassV) (photo)
  • § 15 Passport Ordinance (PassV) (Fees)
  • Ordinance on the Implementation of the Passport Act (PassV)

You must apply for the children's passport in person with your child at a passport authority.

  • You must apply for the children's passport together with your child in person and present the necessary documents. The personal appearance of your child is always required, as his identity must be verified.
  • Both parents must file the application together if you have joint custody. One parent may be represented by the other parent when applying with a power of attorney.
  • The application will be accepted on site by the processor. Your child must sign if they are at least 10 years old. A signature by younger children is permitted. In addition, you may need to complete the declaration of German citizenship.
  • The children's passport is usually issued directly by the passport authority and handed over to you immediately. Otherwise, you will be notified as soon as you can pick up the children's passport.
  • You can then pick up the children's passport at the passport office or have it picked up by an authorised person. The authorised person must identify himself to the passport authority and present a pick-up power of attorney.
  • You must hand in your child's old children's passport when you receive the new children's passport.

Responsible for the content
Federal Ministry of the Interior, Building and Community (BMI)

Last update or date of publication