Driving instructor's license / driving school license
If you want to train people who want to acquire a permit to drive motor vehicles, you need a driving instruction license.
Anyone who trains persons who wish to obtain a licence to drive motor vehicles (learner drivers) requires a driving licence. The driving licence is issued on application in category BE and additionally in classes A, CE and DE.
The driving licence may only be used together with the driving school licence or in the context of an employment or training relationship with the holder of a driving school.
The driving instructor examination is taken by a specially established examination board.
The driving instructor law is uniformly regulated nationwide. The requirements for the exercise of the driving instructor profession are regulated by the Driving Instructor Act. Training and testing is carried out in accordance with a nationwide training and examination regulations on the basis of this act. The driving licence is issued if the applicant
- is at least 22 years old,
- is mentally, physically and professionally suitable and there are no facts that make him appear unreliable for the driving instructor profession,
- has at least completed vocational training in a recognised teaching profession after completion of lower secondary education or an equivalent previous education,
- holds the driving licence of categories A, BE and CE and, if the driving licence of category DE is to be issued, the driving licence of category DE (a probationary driving licence is not sufficient),
- has sufficient driving experience on motor vehicles of the category for which the driving licence is to be issued (it is sufficient if the applicant for the driving licence of categories BE and DE has sufficient driving experience on motor vehicles of category B and D),
- has been trained as a driving instructor within the last three years, and
- has proven professional aptitude in an examination.
- Training as a driving instructor can only take place in one of the approximately 56 recognized driving instructor training centers nationwide. Not only the theoretical training, but also an internship in a training driving school is prescribed.
- The training is a "step-by-step training". In the basic level, the driving license of class BE is first acquired. This requires a two-phase application procedure. Based on this, the driving licenses of classes A, CE and DE can be acquired.
- In order for the driving instructor candidate to be able to apply the knowledge acquired in the officially recognised training centre in the training driving school, he/she will be granted a "temporary driving licence" with limited training rights if he/she has successfully passed the practical driving test and the specialist examination.
- The temporary driving licence expires either with the issue of the permanent driving licence or after three unsuccessful teaching tests in theoretical or practical driving lessons or after 2 years from the date of issue.
In order to obtain the driving licence, a written application must be submitted to the competent authority stating the desired class. In addition, the application must be accompanied by:
- official proof of the place and day of birth,
- Curriculum vitae with handwritten signature,
a medical certificate of mental and physical fitness.
The competent authority may also require the submission of a specialist medical certificate or the opinion of an officially recognised assessment body for driving aptitude on mental and physical fitness.
- A certified copy of your driver's license(s) (the original driver's license can also be presented for inspection),
- documents relating to driving experience,
- Proof of completed vocational training in a recognised apprenticeship occupation after at least completion of lower secondary education or equivalent previous education,
- Confirmation of registration from an officially recognised driving instructor training centre together with a certificate of commencement of training there,
- Certificate of good conduct (document type O) for submission to the authority and
- a certificate from the officially recognised driving instructor training centre stating the duration of the training carried out.
For applicants who have already acquired a driving instruction license in the public service (Bundeswehr, police) and are seeking a civilian driving license, the driving instructor examination is not required. In addition to the above-mentioned documents, these applicants must attach proof of possession of the service driving licence (e.g. certified copy of the driving instructor's licence) to the application.
Information on driving licences and driving licence rights can also be found on the website of the Ministry of Economic Affairs, Labour, Transport and Technology of the State of Schleswig-Holstein (MWAVT).
Driving licence authorities in Schleswig-Holstein
- Driving Instructor Act (FahrlG),
- Implementing Ordinance to the Driving Instructor Act (DV-FahrlG),
- Examination regulations for driving instructors (FahrlPrüfO),
- Scale of charges for road transport measures (RFees).
Responsible for the content
No information available
Last update or date of publication
No information available