Driving licence: Change name

Due to a name change, the driver's license does not have to be re-applied for.

If your name has changed, you do not need to get a new driver's license. Especially when travelling abroad, however, it may make sense to be in possession of an EU card driving licence with up-to-date information. If you wish to change your name in your driving licence, you will be issued a new card driving licence upon request.

You must be the holder of a valid driving licence.

  • Official photo ID (identity card or passport),
  • where applicable, registration certificate,
  • Driving licence
  • current photograph: frontal image according to international standards (biometric photograph),
  • in the case of name change by marriage: additionally certified copy of the marriage certificate, if the name has not yet been changed in the identity card,
  • in case of name change by divorce: additional name change certificate from the registry office, if the name has not yet been changed in the identity card.

You can find out more about this from the responsible office.


Information on driving licences and driving licence rights can also be found on the website of the Ministry of Economic Affairs, Labour, Transport and Technology of the State of Schleswig-Holstein (MWAVT).

  • Driving licence authorities in Schleswig-Holstein

Scale of charges for road transport measures (RFees).

Related Links

  • GebOst

Responsible for the content
No information available

Last update or date of publication
No information available