Apply for a rental car permit
Would you like to operate a rental car business? You can apply for the necessary permit at the traffic authority responsible for you.
For the commercial transport of persons with a rental car, you need a permit. You can submit a corresponding application to the transport authority of the respective district-free city or district responsible for you.
- Formal application (surname, first name of the applicant; residence and place of business; in the case of natural persons, date of birth; Number of vehicles, vehicle type, capacity of vehicles used)
- Service certificates or examination certificates (for professional aptitude) of the applicant or the person appointed to conduct the business
- Capital certificate / supplementary certificate (form according to § 2 paragraph 2 number 2/ § 2 paragraph 3 of the Ordinance on Access to the Profession for Road Passenger Transport -PBZugV), not older than 3 months
- Clearance certificate from the tax office, the municipality, the social security institutions and the employers' liability insurance association, not older than 3 months (by the company, the legal representative and the person / traffic management appointed to conduct the business)
- Certificate of good conduct for submission to the authority in accordance with § 30 paragraph 5 BZRG
- Excerpt from the Central Trade Register according to § 150 paragraph 5 GewO (for companies)
- Excerpt from the Driving Aptitude Register (FAER)
- Vehicle list, possibly rental vehicles with rental contract or leasing list
- Proof of liability insurance for rental cars including risk code (WKZ)
- Business registration
- Forms available: Yes
- Written form required: Yes
- Informal application possible: No
- Personal appearance necessary: No
- Online service available: No
- The safety and performance of the operation is guaranteed.
- There are no facts for the unreliability of the applicant as an entrepreneur or the person appointed to conduct the business.
- The applicant as an entrepreneur or the person appointed to conduct the business is professionally suitable.
- The applicant and the entrepreneurs commissioned by him or her to carry out transport services have their registered office or branch within the meaning of commercial law in Germany.
- In the case of legal persons under public law, the conditions are deemed to be fulfilled.
You can apply for an exemption according to § 43 BOKraft with regard to the omission of a distance meter or an alarm system for rental cars at the Ministry of Economic Affairs, Labour, Transport and Technology of the State of Schleswig-Holstein.
- Passenger Transport Act (PBefG),
- Ordinance on Access to the Profession for Road Passenger Transport (PBZugV),
- Land Ordinance on the Competent Authorities under Passenger Transport Law (Jurisdiction Ordinance (PBefR ZustVO),
- § 43 Ordinance on the Operation of Motor Vehicles in Passenger Transport (BOKraft).
§ 49 Passenger Transport Act (PBefG)
§ 2 paragraph 2 number 1, 2, 3 Passenger Transport Act (PBefG)
Ordinance on the Operation of Motor Vehicle Companies (BOKraft)
Ordinance on Access to the Profession for Road Passenger Transport (PBZugV)
Vehicle Registration Ordinance (FZV)
To obtain a permit for the commercial carriage of persons with a rental car, proceed as follows:
- Submit a corresponding application to the transport authority of the respective district-free city or district responsible for you and attach all necessary documents to the application.
- The authority will process your application.
- You will receive a notification of the granting or re-issuance of a rental car permit.
Responsible for the content
Federal Ministry of Digital Affairs and Transport (BMDV)
Last update or date of publication