Car: Seasonal license plate

Seasonal license plates are suitable for vehicles such as e.B motorcycles that are only used at certain times of the year.

Seasonal license plates are usually applied for vehicles such as motorcycles, convertibles or motorhomes, which are to be used only at certain times of the year. Their owners or keepers can thus save themselves the frequent logging in and out. The insurance cover and the obligation to pay contributions are suspended in the period outside the operating period. (The operating period is indicated on the right edge of the license plate; for example, 05/11 = the vehicle may be used from May to November.)

When registering the vehicle, you specify the period (at least two to a maximum of eleven months per year) in which you want to use the vehicle. Outside this operating period, the vehicle must be parked on private land.

For the registration of a vehicle with seasonal license plates, depending on whether it is

  • an initial authorisation (new registration),
  • re-approval after decommissioning,
  • a registration to a new vehicle owner (transfer within the registration district or from outside) is involved,

the rules applicable to each of these authorisation operations. For details, please refer to the transaction applicable to your matter.

  • Registration certificate Part I (ZB I, formerly: vehicle registration),
  • Registration certificate Part II (ZB II, formerly: vehicle registration document).

For new registrations additionally:

  • Valid identity card or passport with registration certificate from the registration authority of your place of residence,
  • electronic insurance confirmation (eVB code) of the liability insurer,
  • SEPA direct debit mandate (direct debit authorisation),
  • Test report of the last general inspection,
  • Test certificate of the last exhaust gas test (not applicable for a general inspection carried out after 01.07.2012 or for vehicles that are not subject to the exhaust gas inspection obligation).

In addition, when applying:

  • by representative:
    if you commission a third party with the transfer, they require a written power of attorney from you. In addition, he must present your identity document (in copy) to the licensing authority. He himself must have the identity document that applies to him with him in order to identify himself.
  • admission to minors:
    the written declaration of consent of the legal guardian and the presentation of their identity cards.
  • for companies (GmbH, AG, OHG):
    Extract from the commercial register (proof of address required), business registration (proof of address required), power of attorney of the managing director or personal appearance of the managing director.
  • for clubs:
    Extract from the register of associations; Identity card and power of attorney of the designated representative/representatives.
  • for civil law company:
    complete overview of the shareholders (usually submit a shareholders' agreement); Power of attorney and declaration on which natural person the admission is to be granted (confirmed by all shareholders by signature).


If you want to change the season period, you will need a new insurance confirmation (eVB code) and new license plates. It is possible to keep the previous license plate.

  • ยงยง 6, 9 Ordinance on the Registration of Vehicles for Road Traffic (Vehicle Registration Ordinance - FZV),
  • Scale of charges for road transport measures (RFees).

Related Links

  • FZV
  • GebOSt

Responsible for the content
No information available

Last update or date of publication
No information available