Driving licence: Replacement Unfortunately this specification of service has not yet been completely translated.

If the driver's license has been lost, this must be reported immediately and, if necessary, a replacement document must be requested.

If your driver's license has been lost, you are obliged to report the loss immediately and to have a replacement document issued to you, unless you waive your driving license.

With the handing over of the new driver's license, the previous driver's license loses its validity. If the lost driving licence is recovered, it must be delivered immediately to the competent driving licence authority.

The application for a replacement driving licence must be submitted to the competent authority by the holder of the licence in person in writing or for a record.
The requested driver's license can also be collected by a person authorized in writing.

  • Current photograph: frontal image according to international standards (biometric photograph),
  • official photo ID (identity card, passport),
  • If the previous driving licence has not been issued by the currently responsible district / city, an additional index card copy must be submitted to the previously issuing driving licence authority.
    The flashcard copy is not required if you already have an EU card driving licence.
  • If applicable, current registration certificate,
  • in addition, in the event of loss: affidavit of the whereabouts of the driving licence (this is done as part of the interview),
  • In addition, in the event of theft, some authorities require the submission of the theft report to the police station.


Information on driving licences and driving licence law and driving licence authorities can also be found on the website of the Ministry of Economic Affairs, Labour, Transport and Technology of the State of Schleswig-Holstein (MWAVT).
The Central Driving Licence Register (ZFER) can be found on the website of the Federal Motor Transport Authority (KBA).

  • MWAVT - Driving Licence, Driving Licence Law and Driving Licence Authorities
  • KBA - Central Register of Driving Licences (ZFER)
  • § 4 (2), § 25 (4) and (5) Ordinance on the Admission of Persons to Road Traffic (Driving Licence Ordinance - FeV)
  • Scale of charges for road transport measures (RFees)

Related Links

  • Fev
  • GebOSt

Responsible for the content
No information available

Last update or date of publication
No information available