Car: Transfer from outside - without changing the holder Unfortunately this specification of service has not yet been completely translated.

If you move your residence to another district or county, you must also re-register your vehicle to the new address.

If you as the vehicle owner move your residence to another district or district, the vehicle must be re-registered to the new address. A new vehicle registration number is then assigned by the registration office (re-identification). Since 1 January 2015, it has also been possible to keep the previous number plate at the request of the holder (waiver of relabeling).

You must have already deregistered with your previous municipality and registered with the new municipality.

The application for re-registration must be submitted to the admissions office of your new place of residence. You can also appoint a representative to re-register.

If an application form is necessary, you can obtain it in advance from the admissions office and fill it out at home. Depending on the offer of your admission authority, a download form or an online service is available via the Internet.

If you want a desired license plate when re-registering, the reservation can often be made before the re-registration, depending on the offer of the registration authority.

  • Identity card or passport with current confirmation of registration,
  • Registration certificate Part I or old vehicle registration document,
  • in the event of a change of number plate: registration certificate Part II or old vehicle registration document,
  • valid test report of the last main and exhaust gas test,
  • in case of license plate change: previous license plates,
  • SEPA direct debit mandate (direct debit authorization), if a license plate change takes place,
  • if applicable, reservation confirmation for the desired license plate.

Additionally when applying

  • by representative:
    Power of attorney issued and
    the original or copy of the identity card or passport with registration certificate from the registration office of the place of residence of the designated representative.

  • for companies (GmbH, AG, OHG):
    Extract from the commercial register (proof of address required), business registration (proof of address required), power of attorney of the managing director or personal appearance of the managing director.


The license plates are stamped by the registration authority, i.e. provided with stickers for the main inspection (HU) and the registration district.

Important note:
Since 2007, the vehicle can only be registered to the main residence of a private individual.

  • Online service - transfer from outside - without changing holders
  • § 13 Ordinance on the Registration of Vehicles for Road Traffic (Vehicle Registration Ordinance - FZV),
  • Scale of charges for road transport measures (RFees).

Related Links

  • § 13 FZV
  • GebOSt

Responsible for the content
No information available

Last update or date of publication
No information available