Motor vehicle: Re-registration of a vehicle that has been decommissioned

A vehicle that has been decommissioned may be re-registered on request. You can submit the application for re-admission to the licensing authority responsible for you.

A vehicle that has been decommissioned may be re-registered on request.

If you have deregistered your vehicle, you can re-register it at any time. With the re-registration, the motor vehicle will be registered to you again. If you have moved or purchased a deregistered used vehicle, the vehicle owner data will be updated upon re-registration.

Make up for due vehicle inspections

If, in the period between the deregistration and the requested re-registration of the vehicle, a general inspection, emission test or safety test was due, this must be carried out before the vehicle is re-registered.

Expert opinion required after a long decommissioning

If the vehicle and owner data in the Central Vehicle Register have already been deleted (7 years after deregistration) and the data can no longer be proven elsewhere, an expert opinion of an officially recognized expert is required.

New license plate may be required

If no reservation of the license plate has been made at the time of deregistration or if the re-registration is made to another owner, a new license plate must be applied for.

  • Valid identity card or passport with registration certificate,
  • Proof of the right of disposal of the holder to be entered (unless this results from one of the following documents):
    • old vehicle registration document or
    • Registration certificate Part I (ZB I) or Part II (ZB II) or
    • EC certificate of conformity (COC paper) and
    • Purchase contract, if no ZB II (vehicle registration document) has been issued.
  • E.g. I or, if applicable, deregistration certificate,
  • Proof of a valid general inspection (e.g. by means of the deregistration certificate, the ZB I or the last report on the main inspection),
  • electronic insurance confirmation,
  • still existing license plates, if the license plate has been reserved for you,
  • SEPA direct debit mandate (direct debit authorisation),
  • if the ZB I is no longer available and the decommissioning was more than 7 years ago, another proof of the technical data of the vehicle (EC certificate of conformity (COC paper), data confirmation from the manufacturer, certificate of an individual approval).
  • If none of these documents is available, the submission of an expert opinion of an officially recognized expert according to § 21 Road Traffic Licensing Regulations (StVZO) is required.
  • If the vehicle has been modified after decommissioning (deregistration), which are subject to acceptance (e.g. aluminium rims, spoilers, auxiliary heating), the vehicle must be tested by an official recognised expert (e.g. TÜV Nord) or a test engineer (TÜV Nord, DEKRA, GTÜ, KÜS, FSP, TÜV Hanse, TÜV Rheinland, TÜV Süd) before approval in accordance with § 19 para. 3 StVZO.
  • In the event of serious changes (change in the type of vehicle or the exhaust/noise behaviour, danger to road users), the vehicle must only be inspected by an official recognised expert in accordance with § 19 (2) StVZO. The certificate issued for the test/acceptance must be presented at the time of approval.

Additionally when applying

  • by representative:
    If you instruct a third party to re-authorise them, they will require a written authorisation from you; in addition, he must present your identity document (in copy) to the admissions office. He himself must have the identity document that applies to him with him in order to identify himself.
  • admission to minors:
    the written declaration of consent of the legal guardian and the presentation of their identity cards.
  • for companies (GmbH, AG, OHG):
    Extract from the commercial register (proof of address required), business registration (proof of address required), power of attorney of the managing director or personal appearance of the managing director.
  • for clubs:
    Extract from the register of associations; Identity card and power of attorney of the designated representative(s).
  • for civil law company:
    complete overview of the shareholders (usually submit a shareholders' agreement); Power of attorney and declaration on which natural person the admission is to be granted (confirmed by all shareholders by signature).

Related Links

  • § 14 paragraph 6 Vehicle Registration Ordinance (FZV)
  • § 15e Vehicle Registration Ordinance (FZV)

You can also submit the application for re-registration via the website of the competent registration authority if you were the last owner of the vehicle when you deregistered and the same registration authority is still responsible for you.

Prerequisites for this are also

  • an identity card with electronic proof of identity function,
  • a new registration certificate Part I (vehicle registration document),
  • a license plate reservation made at the time of deregistration (decommissioning) (for a maximum of one year).  

Note: On the new registration certificate Part I (the vehicle registration document) a concealed but detachable security code is applied, which can be recognized by a silver sticker.

Responsible for the content
Federal Ministry of Digital Affairs and Transport (BMDV), StV21

Last update or date of publication