Motor vehicles: Registration of new vehicles Unfortunately this specification of service has not yet been completely translated.

Vehicles may only be put into service on public roads if they are approved for traffic.

Vehicles may only be put into service on public roads if they are approved for traffic. In the case of a new vehicle with general type approval or EC type-approval, you must apply for the assignment of an official registration number. In principle, the presentation of the motor vehicle is not required.

The application for admission must be submitted by the holder or a representative authorised in writing.
If your admissions authority requires an application form, you can obtain it in advance from the licensing authority or, depending on the offer of the authority, retrieve it on the Internet. In many regulatory authorities, the form is also filled out directly at the counter during application processing.

If you would like to reserve a desired license plate, this can be done in person, in writing or by telephone as well as as as an online service via the Internet before the new registration, depending on the offer of the registration authority.

  • Registration certificate Part II or certificate of conformity (COC) in the original or an expert opinion according to § 21 StVZO or § 13 EG-FGV as well as proof of the right of disposal (original invoice, purchase contract or similar) for the vehicle for the granting of an individual permit,
  • electronic insurance confirmation (§ 23 FZV),
  • valid identity documents of the vehicle owner (identity card or passport with confirmation of registration; Driver's license and similar documents are not recognized!),
  • SEPA direct debit mandate (direct debit authorisation),
  • VAT return in the case of intra-Community acquisition or proof of customs clearance in the case of purchase from a third country.
  • If, after purchase, changes have been made to the vehicle that require acceptance (e.g. aluminium rims, spoilers, auxiliary heating), the vehicle must be inspected by an official recognised expert (e.g. TÜV-Nord) or a test engineer (TÜV Nord, DEKRA, GTÜ, KÜS, FSP, TÜV Hanse, TÜV Rheinland, TÜV Süd Autopartner GmbH) before approval. In the event of serious changes (change in vehicle type or exhaust/noise behaviour, hazard to road users), the vehicle must only be inspected by an official recognised expert. The certificate issued for the test (acceptance) must be presented at the time of approval.

additionally when applying:

  • by representative:
    If you commission a third party with the new vehicle registration, they require a written power of attorney from you; in addition, he must present your identity document (in copy) to the admissions office. He himself must have the identity document that applies to him with him in order to identify himself.
  • admission to minors:
    If this person fulfils the requirements for a tax exemption according to § 3a of the Motor Vehicle Tax Act due to a severe disability or can meet the owner characteristics for this vehicle due to the possession of the driving license required for the vehicle subject to registration, the written declaration of consent of the parent or legal guardian and the presentation of their identity cards is required.
  • for companies (GmbH, AG, OHG):
    Extract from the commercial register (proof of address required), business registration (proof of address required), power of attorney of the managing director or personal appearance of the managing director.
  • for clubs:
    Extract from the register of associations; Identity card and power of attorney of the designated representative(s).
  • for civil law company:
    Complete overview of the shareholders (usually submit a shareholders' agreement); Power of attorney and declaration on which natural person the admission is to be granted (confirmed by all shareholders by signature).


If, as part of the registration, the first issue of a registration certificate Part II (formerly vehicle registration document) is necessary, the vehicle must in principle be identified by the registration authority by presenting the vehicle.

  • § 21 Road Traffic Licensing Regulations (StVZO),
  • § 13 Ordinance on ec approval for motor vehicles and their trailers as well as for systems, components and separate technical units for these vehicles (EC Vehicle Approval Ordinance - EC FGV),
  • §§ 3, 6 Ordinance on the Registration of Vehicles for Road Traffic (Vehicle Registration Ordinance - FZV),
  • Scale of charges for road transport measures (RFees).

Related Links

  • § 21 StVZO
  • § 13 EG-FGV
  • FZV
  • GebOSt

Responsible for the content
No information available

Last update or date of publication
No information available