Apply for help with care Unfortunately this specification of service has not yet been completely translated.

With the help of this application, you can apply for help with care within the framework of social assistance.

With the help of this application, you can apply for help with care.

If you are dependent on the help of others due to health impairments, under certain circumstances you are entitled to help with care in accordance with the Twelfth Book of the Social Code (SGB XII) in addition to the claims from long-term care insurance.

The reason for the need can be physical, cognitive or psychological impairments or health-related stresses or requirements that cannot be compensated for and mastered independently.

The determination of whether and to what extent there is a need for care is carried out by the Medical Service of the Health Insurance (MDK), which is commissioned by your long-term care insurance. Further information on the assessment procedure can be obtained from your long-term care insurance.

The Medical Service of the Health Insurance (MDK) determines your need for care. It assesses how independently you can still cope with your everyday life. The degree of care is determined with a points system. Your responsible nursing care fund is then responsible for covering the care costs. However, depending on the type of benefit, the costs are only covered by the long-term care insurance up to certain maximum limits. If it is not possible for you to cover the uncovered remaining costs, social assistance benefits (SGB XII) such as assistance for care come into question, taking into account the findings of the MDK.

If you do not have long-term care insurance and thus do not receive an expert opinion from the MDK and no classification into a nursing degree by the nursing care fund, the social assistance provider can commission the responsible health office (so-called official doctor) with an assessment.

You will only receive help with care if your income and assets (or those of your spouse or partner) are insufficient. Dependent relatives are used if their annual gross income is more than EUR 100,000.00, see also Act on the Relief of Dependent Relatives in Social Assistance and Integration Assistance (so-called Relatives Relief Act).

You are entitled to the following benefits:

From care level 1:

  • Care aids
  • measures to improve the living environment;
  • Digital Care Applications
  • Supplementary support for the use of digital care applications
  • a relief amount.

From care level 2 - 5:

  • Home care (in the form of care allowance, home care assistance, preventive care, care aids, measures to improve the living environment, other services, digital care applications, supplementary support for the use of digital care applications)
  • Semi-inpatient care
  • Short-term care
  • a relief amount
  • Inpatient care

Assistance for care will be provided by the competent authority after examination of your documents, provided that the necessary conditions are met.

  • Previous benefits

For long-term care insured persons:

  • Proof of membership certificate health and long-term care insurance
  • Medical report of the Medical Service of the Health Insurance
  • Notification of the nursing care fund about the degree of care and benefits of the long-term care insurance

For non-long-term care insured:

  • Medical report


  • You must have a physical, cognitive or psychological impairment that makes your independence difficult (at least care level 1).
  • You (or your non-separated spouse or partner, or Your non-separated spouse or partner) do not have enough income or assets to cover the cost of care.


Although an informal application is possible, we require you to complete the completed application form afterwards.

Related Links

  • Seventh Chapter (ยงยง 61 to 66a) social code (SGB) XII

After the application has been submitted, the documents submitted by you will be checked and, if necessary, the need for care will be determined.

In addition, your income and financial circumstances are checked. If the person in need of care is a minor and unmarried, the income and assets of their parents are taken into account.

If all requirements are met, you will receive an approval notice.

Responsible for the content
No information available

Last update or date of publication