Apply for a certificate of eligibility for examination

Do you want to start your professional life as a teenager? Then you need to be medically examined before starting work.

If you are not yet 18 years old and would like to start gainful employment (training), you must first be medically examined (initial examination).

The examination will determine whether you are physically and developmentally suitable for this profession.

This is to prevent you from suffering health damage as a result of work. After the examination, you will receive a certificate. You must present these to your employer.

You do not need an examination if you start a minor job or if you only work for a short time (maximum 2 months). This applies, for example, to a holiday job or a student internship.

The costs of the investigation are paid by the state. You must request the initial examination so that the costs of the examination are reimbursed.

Documents that you must present to apply for the examination authorization certificate:

  • an identity document (e.g. identity card or child ID card or passport)

Documents that you will receive when you collect the examination authorization certificate:

  • Certificate of eligibility for examination
  • Application for reimbursement of examination costs
  • Questionnaire

You must present the documents handed over to the doctor before the start of the medical examination.

You can submit the application for the examination authorization certificate informally.


  • You are between 15 and 17 years old
  • You want to start a job
  • This work is not minor and takes longer than 2 months


You must submit the following documents for the examination:

  • Examination authorization certificate signed by your parents
  • Application for reimbursement of examination costs
  • Questionnaire

After a year, you will need to be re-examined. You must then present this certificate to your employer again.

Related Links

  • ยงยง 32 et seq. Youth Employment Protection Act (JArbSchG)

You make an appointment with your responsible registration office for the issuance of the examination authorization certificate (application).

You must bring an identity document (identity card or child ID card or passport) to the appointment. The application itself is made informally.

If your application is approved, you will receive a certificate of eligibility for investigation from the authority. You must bring this with you to the examination.

You can decide for yourself which doctor or doctor will examine you.

After the examination, you will receive a certificate. You submit these to your employer.

Responsible for the content
Ministry of Labour, Social Affairs and Integration of the State of Saxony-Anhalt

Last update or date of publication