Applying for an employment permit for persons with a residence permit
If you want to work in an ongoing asylum procedure and have already found an employer who wants to hire you, you can apply for an employment permit.
If you are in an ongoing asylum procedure, employment is only permitted if this is expressly stated in your residence permit. If you want to work, you must therefore apply for an employment permit at the Foreigners' Registration Office. This also applies to the exercise of in-company vocational training or an internship.
If you have been allowed to stay in Germany for three months, are no longer obliged to live in an initial reception centre for asylum seekers (including a reception centre, arrival centre or anchor centre) and have already found an employer who would like to hire you, you may be allowed to work.
To process your application, the Foreigners' Registration Office usually involves the Federal Employment Agency, which checks the working conditions. After an uninterrupted stay in Germany for more than four years, the Federal Employment Agency no longer has to be involved.
If you would like to complete in-company vocational training (dual training), the employment permit for the specific training place must be applied for individually. School-based vocational training is subject to approval.
The employment permit is issued for a limited period of time for the duration of the approval of the Federal Employment Agency, at the latest until the residence permit expires.
There are the following limitations:
The exercise of gainful employment is generally prohibited as long as you are obliged to live in an initial reception centre. Only if your asylum procedure has not been completed within nine months can you be allowed to work.
If you are an asylum seeker from a so-called "safe country of origin", i.e. from a Member State of the European Union, Albania, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Ghana, Kosovo, the former Yugoslav Republic of Macedonia (North Macedonia), Montenegro, Senegal or Serbia, and have submitted your asylum application after 31 August 2015, you will not be able to obtain an employment permit during the asylum procedure.
There is also no access to the German labour market for asylum seekers whose asylum procedure has been rejected as manifestly unfounded or inadmissible and for whose action no suspensive effect has been ordered.
- Valid residence permit
- Identity document (e.g. passport or passport replacement), if available
- Form "Declaration of employment" (to be completed in full by the employer)
- In individual cases, the Foreigners' Registration Office may require less or more evidence.
Forms available: Yes
Written form required: Yes
Informal application possible: No
Personal appearance required: Yes
- You are in possession of a valid residence permit.
- They are not obliged to live in a reception centre and have been allowed to stay in Germany for three months.
- You are obliged to live in a reception centre, but your asylum procedure has not been completed incontestably within nine months and you do not come from a safe country of origin.
- Although you come from a safe country of origin, you applied for asylum before 31 August 2015.
- An employer has offered you a specific job and filled out the form "Declaration of employment".
- The conditions under which you will work in the future are comparable to those of German employees.
- Their wages correspond to the wages of German employees.
§ 61 Asylum Act (AsylG)
§ 32 Employment Ordinance (BeschV)
- Find out whether your immigration office makes it possible to apply online or provides a special application form.
- If the application is only possible in person, please send the form "Declaration of Employment" completed in full by your employer to the Foreigners' Registration Office in advance and make an appointment at the Foreigners' Registration Office. In the case of online applications, the Foreigners' Registration Office will contact you upon receipt of your application to make an appointment.
- During the appointment, your identity and your documents will be checked (please bring your documents, if possible in the original, to the appointment).
- As a rule, the Foreigners' Registration Office will ask the Federal Employment Agency for approval.
- If the employment permit is issued, a corresponding entry is usually made on the residence permit (under "Ancillary provisions") or in an additional sheet.
Responsible for the content
Ministry of the Interior and Municipal Affairs of the State of Brandenburg,
Last update or date of publication