Extend residence permit to work as a civil servant with a German employer
If you are a civil servant with a German employer and have a residence permit to fulfil official duties in Germany, you can apply for the extension of the residence permit.
If you are in a civil servant relationship with a German employer and are staying in Germany to fulfil official duties, you usually have a temporary residence permit. You can apply for the extension of the residence permit when the validity of your residence permit ends and you want to continue your service in Germany.
You should apply for the extension of your residence permit at least eight weeks before the expiry of the time limit at the immigration authority responsible for your place of residence.
The same conditions apply to the renewal as to the grant. This means that you are still in a civil servant relationship with a German employer and would like to stay in Germany to fulfil your official duties.
In the event of an extension, your residence permit will again be limited in time. The duration of the time limit depends on the planned duration of your service.
For the extension of your residence permit, the participation of the Federal Employment Agency is not required.
Under certain circumstances, you were obliged to participate in an integration course when you first issued your residence permit. If this is the case, this must be taken into account when extending your residence permit. If you have not yet taken part in an integration course, the Foreigners' Registration Office may reject your application for an extension of the residence permit. If you have not yet completed the integration course, the residence permit will only be extended by one year until you successfully complete it or provide proof that your integration into social life has taken place elsewhere.
If you have been in possession of a residence permit for the exercise of official duties with a German employer for three years, you are entitled to a permanent residence permit (settlement permit). This does not require the requirement to have made contributions to the statutory pension insurance for at least 60 months or to have to prove expenses for entitlement to comparable benefits.
- Valid passport
- Current residence permit
- Original of your certificate of appointment/appointment
- Current biometric photo
- Proof of your health insurance
- Online procedure occasionally possible
- Written form required: yes
- Personal appearance required: yes
- You have a recognized and valid passport or passport replacement.
- There is no interest in expulsion against you.
- Your stay does not endanger or adversely affect the interests of the Federal Republic of Germany.
- They are in a civil servant relationship with a German employer and are intended to fulfil official duties in Germany.
§ 8 Abs. 1 in conjunction with § 19c Abs. 4 AufenthG
§ 19c paragraph 3 Residence Act (AufenthG)
§ 9 Residence Act (AufenthG)
§ 8 Residence Act (AufenthG)
The extension of your residence permit must be applied for at the immigration authority responsible for your place of residence. The procedure is as follows:
Depending on the foreigners' registration office and concerns, it may be possible to apply via the Internet. Find out whether your immigration office offers the electronic application for a residence permit.
In the event of an electronic application, the Foreigners' Registration Office will contact you upon receipt of your application in order to make an appointment at the Foreigners' Registration Office. During the appointment, your certificates will be checked (bring them with you to the appointment).
If the application is only possible in person, make an appointment with the Foreigners' Registration Office.
During the appointment, your application will be accepted and your proofs will be checked (bring them with you to the appointment).
- For the renewal of the electronic residence permit (eAT card), your fingerprints will be taken at the Foreigners' Registration Office.
- After about six to eight weeks, you can pick up the eAT card at the Foreigners' Registration Office. In principle, the collection must be made in person.
- Fees apply for the extension of the residence permit. The timing and form of payment vary depending on the authority.
Responsible for the content
Ministry of the Interior and Municipal Affairs
of the State of Brandenburg
Last update or date of publication