Residence permit for the purpose of gainful employment Extension to look for a job after completing your studies Unfortunately this specification of service has not yet been completely translated.
You have successfully completed your studies in Germany and have already received a residence permit to look for a job.
As a graduate of a German university, you have a legal right to obtain a residence permit to look for a job.
The residence permit will be issued to you for a maximum of 18 months directly after your studies. If this maximum period was not used when it was first issued, the residence permit may be extended accordingly. However, if you cannot find a job during these 18 months, an extension is excluded and you are obliged to leave Germany.
This residence permit allows gainful employment without restriction.
- Valid National Passport,
- proof of secure livelihood (e.g. employment contract and payslips, bank statements, submission of a declaration of commitment by third parties),
- proof of health insurance,
- Certificate of completion, certificate or certificate from your university on the successful completion of your studies,
- 1 current biometric photo,
- Please ask the immigration office responsible for you whether you need to submit further documents.
- Forms: application for a residence permit
- Online procedure possible: no
- Written form required: no
- Personal appearance required: yes
You are in possession of a residence permit for the purpose of looking for a job after successful studies in Germany. The maximum period of 18 months has not yet been exhausted.
In addition, you meet the general requirements for granting a residence permit. These are in particular:
- a secure livelihood
- a clarified identity
- Possession of a valid national passport.
§ 20 paragraph 3 no. 1 and paragraph 4 sentence 2 in conjunction with § 8 act on the residence, gainful employment and integration of foreigners in the Federal territory (Residence Act - AufenthG)
You can find the legal bases on the Internet under Laws on the Internet
You can only apply for an extension of a residence permit in person at the immigration authority responsible for your place of residence.
- You submit the required documents in the original and pay the application fee.
- The Foreigners' Registration Office checks whether the conditions for grant are met.
- If all requirements are met, the Foreigners' Registration Office will take your biometric data (photo, fingerprints) and order the electronic residence permit (eAT) from Bundesdruckerei GmbH.
- As soon as the eAT is completed, it will be handed over to you by the Foreigners' Registration Office.
Responsible for the content
No information available
Last update or date of publication