Residence permit for the purpose of gainful employment Extension for the purpose of employment in the case of qualified employment as a specialist with vocational training
You can extend your residence permit to pursue qualified employment for skilled workers with vocational training before the expiry of your fixed-term contract if you want to continue your employment in Germany as a skilled worker
The residence permit for the exercise of qualified employment for skilled workers with vocational training is a temporary residence permit. You can apply for the extension of the residence permit to pursue qualified employment if your employment is to continue beyond the period of validity of your residence permit.
Apply for the extension of your residence permit at least eight weeks before the expiry of the time limit at the immigration authority responsible for your place of residence.
For the renewal of the residence permit for the exercise of qualified employment for professionals with vocational training, the same conditions apply as for the issuance. In particular, you should be able to submit a specific job offer or an employment contract and pursue an employment that is technically related to your qualifications.
If you were obliged to participate in an integration course when you first issued your residence permit, this will be taken into account when extending your residence permit. If you have not yet taken part in an integration course, the Foreigners' Registration Office may reject your application for an extension of the residence permit. If you have not yet completed the integration course, the residence permit will only be extended by one year until you successfully complete it or provide proof that your integration into social life has taken place elsewhere.
In the event of an extension, your residence permit will again be limited in time. The residence permit for the exercise of qualified employment for professionals with vocational training is extended for the duration of the employment contract.
As a rule, the residence permit cannot be extended if this has already been ruled out when the residence permit was issued or last extended.
- Passport or passport replacement
- Existing residence permit
- Proof of subsistence:
- Copy or original of the employment contract (to be submitted only in case of amendments)
- Proof of income for the last 3 months
in case of change of employer: concrete job offer (please use the nationwide uniform form
Declaration of Employment Relationship)
- Current biometric photo
- Current registration certificate
- Proof of your health insurance
- In case of obligation to participate in the integration course: certificate of successful participation in the integration course or other proof of integration efforts
Declaration of employment (uniform nationwide); further authority-specific forms can be obtained from your immigration office, if necessary these will also be offered online.
- Online procedure occasionally possible
- Written form required: yes
- Personal appearance required: yes
- You have a recognized and valid passport or passport replacement as well as the valid residence permit for the exercise of qualified employment for specialists with vocational training according to § 18a AufenthG.
- The validity period of your residence permit will expire in the near future.
- There is no interest in expulsion against you.
- Your stay does not endanger or adversely affect the interests of the Federal Republic of Germany.
- You can secure your livelihood and health insurance coverage from your income without using public benefits.
- You have a specific job offer or an employment contract with the same or another employer.
- You are employed in an occupation that is technically related to your qualifications.
- If necessary, you have a professional license.
- The Federal Employment Agency has agreed to take up work (consent is usually obtained from the Foreigners' Registration Office). Their working conditions (in particular salary) are comparable to those of a German employee in the same position.
§ 8 Abs. 1 i. V.m.§ 18a Aufenthaltsgesetz (AufenthG)
§ 39 Residence Act
The extension of your residence permit must be applied for at the immigration authority responsible for your place of residence.
- Depending on the foreigners' registration office and concerns, it may be possible to apply via the Internet. Find out whether your immigration office offers the electronic application for a residence permit.
- If the application is only possible in person, make an appointment with the Foreigners' Registration Office.
- During the appointment, your application will be accepted and your proofs will be checked (please bring them with you to the appointment). Your fingerprints will be taken for the issuance of the electronic residence permit (eAT).
- In the event of an electronic application, the Foreigners' Registration Office will contact you after receipt of your online application in order to make an appointment for an interview at the Foreigners' Registration Office. During the appointment, your proofs will be checked (please bring them to the appointment) and your fingerprints will be taken for the issuance of the eAT card.
- If your application is granted, the Foreigners' Registration Office will arrange for the eAT card to be produced.
- After about six to eight weeks, you can pick up an eAT card at the Foreigners' Registration Office.
- Fees apply for the extension of the residence permit. The timing and form of payment varies depending on the authority
Responsible for the content
Ministry of the Interior and Municipal Affairs of the State of Brandenburg
Last update or date of publication