Residence permit for the purpose of gainful employment Extension for mobile researchers Unfortunately this specification of service has not yet been completely translated.
If you have a temporary residence permit for mobile researchers and would like to continue your work at the research institution after the expiry of the fixed-term period in Germany, you can extend your residence permit under certain conditions.
The residence permit for the purpose of research for mobile researchers is a temporary residence permit. You can apply for the extension of the residence permit if your work at a research institution is to be continued beyond the period of validity of your residence permit.
Apply for the extension of your residence permit at least eight weeks before the expiry of the time limit at the immigration authority responsible for your place of residence.
The same conditions apply to the renewal of the residence permit for the purpose of research as to the granting of it. In particular, you should be able to submit a hosting agreement or a corresponding contract with a research institution.
In the event of an extension, your residence permit will again be limited in time. The residence permit for the purpose of research is extended for the duration of the research project. However, the stay in Germany may not last longer than one year in total.
As a rule, the residence permit cannot be extended if this has already been ruled out when the residence permit was issued or last extended.
- Passport or passport replacement
- Existing residence permit
- Current biometric photo
- Hosting agreement or a corresponding contract with a research institution for the implementation of the research project.
- Proof of subsistence (incl. 3 proof of income from the last 3 months)
- Proof of your health insurance
- Forms can be obtained from your immigration office, which may also be offered online.
- Online procedure possible in isolated cases
- Written form required: yes
- Personal appearance required: yes
- You have a recognized and valid passport or passport replacement as well as a valid residence permit for the purpose of research for mobile researchers in accordance with § 18f of the Residence Act.
- There is no interest in expulsion against you.
- Your stay does not endanger or adversely affect the interests of the Federal Republic of Germany.
- You can secure your livelihood and health insurance coverage from your income without using public benefits.
- You can submit a hosting agreement or a corresponding contract with a research institution for the implementation of the research project
§ 8 paragraph 1 Residence Act (AufenthG)
§ 18f Residence Act (AufenthG)
The extension of your residence permit must be applied for at the immigration authority responsible for your place of residence.
- Depending on the foreigners' registration office and concerns, it may be possible to apply via the Internet. Find out whether your immigration office offers the electronic application for a residence permit.
- If the application is only possible in person, make an appointment with the Foreigners' Registration Office.
- During the appointment, your application will be accepted and your proofs will be checked (please bring them with you to the appointment). Your fingerprints will be taken for the issuance of the electronic residence permit (eAT).
- In the event of an electronic application, the Foreigners' Registration Office will contact you after receipt of your online application in order to make an appointment for an interview at the Foreigners' Registration Office. During the appointment, your proofs will be checked (please bring them to the appointment) and your fingerprints will be taken for the issuance of the eAT card.
- If your application is granted, the Foreigners' Registration Office will arrange for the eAT card to be produced.
- After about six to eight weeks, you can pick up an eAT card at the Foreigners' Registration Office.
Fees apply for the extension of the residence permit. The timing and form of payment varies depending on the authority
Responsible for the content
No information available
Last update or date of publication