Applying for a residence permit for the purpose of self-employment
You can obtain a residence permit if you intend to take up self-employment.
To take up self-employment, you can apply for a temporary residence permit.
A residence permit is a residence permit. The granting of the residence permit is only possible for a specific purpose, such as, among other things, for the start of a self-employed activity.
- Valid National Pass
- proof of health insurance;
- Curriculum vitae and proof of qualifications about previous activities and training (degree certificates, certificates or certificates)
- Financing Plan / Business Plan
- 1 current biometric photo
- Please ask the immigration authority responsible for you whether you need to submit further documents.
- Online procedure possible: no
- Written form required: no
- Personal appearance necessary: yes
The residence permit can only be issued to you if
- there is an economic interest or regional need for the activity, and
- the activity can be expected to have a positive impact on the economy in Germany and
- the financing of the implementation is secured by equity or by a loan commitment.
If you have already reached the age of 45, an adequate pension plan is also required.
Furthermore, the general conditions for granting a residence permit must be met.
These are in particular:
- a secure livelihood,
- a clarified identity,
- Possession of a valid national passport.
§ 21 paragraph 1, paragraph 3, paragraph 4 sentence 1 act on the residence, gainful employment and integration of foreigners in the Federal territory (Residence Act AufenthG)
Act on the Residence, Employment and Integration of Foreigners in The Federal Territory (Residence Act - AufenthG) § 21 Self-employment
You can only apply for a residence permit in person at the immigration authority responsible for your place of residence.
- You submit the required documents in the original and pay the application fee.
- The Foreigners' Registration Office checks whether the conditions for grant are met.
- If necessary, other authorities may be involved.
- If all requirements are met, the Foreigners' Registration Office will record your biometric data (photo, fingerprints) and order the electronic residence permit (eAT) from Bundesdruckerei GmbH.
- As soon as the eAT is completed, it will be handed over to you by the Foreigners' Registration Office.
Responsible for the content
Free and Hanseatic City of Hamburg
District Office Harburg
Harburg Town Hall Square 1
21073 Hamburg, Germany
fax: 040 427907600
Phone: +49 40 428713849
Federal Ministry of the Interior, Building and Community
Last update or date of publication