Applying for a residence permit to look for a job for skilled workers with vocational training

As a specialist with vocational training, you can obtain a residence permit to look for a job for a period of six months if you meet certain requirements for this.

You can obtain a residence permit to look for a job for skilled workers if you have completed qualified vocational training in Germany. Qualified vocational training exists if you have completed vocational training in a state-recognised or similarly regulated training occupation. The duration of training must have been at least two years. If you have completed your vocational training abroad, the equivalence of your qualification with the German, qualified vocational training must be determined by the competent recognition body (e.B. the Chamber of Industry or Commerce) become.

If you want to work in a regulated profession, the required professional license must already be issued or promised when the residence permit for the job search is issued. Regulated professions are professional activities the taking up or pursuit of which is subject to the possession of certain professional qualifications by law, regulation or administrative provision. Regulated professions in Germany are e.B. doctor, nurse, lawyer, teacher, educator or engineer.

If you are already resident in Germany, you can obtain a residence permit to look for a job if you were immediately in possession of a residence permit for gainful employment or a residence permit for the purpose of the study-related internship EU.

With the residence permit to look for a job, you can exercise a trial employment, which the qualification qualifies you to exercise, for up to ten hours per week.

The residence permit is issued for up to six months.

  • Valid passport or passport replacement
  • Visa, if this was required for entry into Germany
  • Current biometric photo
  • Original of the certificate of successfully completed vocational training
  • In the case of a foreign professional qualification: Decision on the determination of the equivalence of the foreign professional qualification with a domestic qualified vocational training, if available
  • In the case of regulated professions: licence to practise a profession or a commitment to grant a profession
  • Proof of German language skills
  • Proof of livelihood security (e.B. equity, blocked account, declaration of commitment)
  • Proof of your health insurance
  • Current registration certificate
  • Online procedure occasionally possible
  • Written form required
  • Personal appearance required


  • You have a recognized and valid passport or passport replacement and if this was required for entry into Germany a suitable visa.
  • There is no interest in expulsion against you.
  • Your stay does not endanger or adversely affect the interests of the Federal Republic of Germany.
  • You own
    - domestic qualified vocational training, or
    - an equivalent foreign professional qualification

  • The subject of your job search is employment as a specialist.
  • You have German language skills that correspond to the desired activity. As a rule, German language skills are required at least at level B1 of the Common European Framework of Reference for Languages.
  • If necessary, you have a professional license or a commitment to the grant.
  • You can secure your livelihood and health insurance coverage from your own resources without using public services.

Related Links

  • ยง 20 Abs. 1 Aufenthaltsgesetz

The procedure is as follows:

  • Depending on the foreigners' registration office and concerns, it may be possible to apply via the Internet. Find out whether your immigration office offers the electronic application for a residence permit.
  • If the application is only possible in person, make an appointment with the Foreigners' Registration Office. During the appointment, your application will be accepted and your proofs will be checked (bring them with you to the appointment). Your fingerprints will be taken for the production of an electronic residence permit (eATCard).
  • In the event of an electronic application, the Foreigners' Registration Office will contact you after receipt of your online application in order to make an appointment at the Foreigners' Registration Office if necessary. During the appointment, your proofs will be checked (bring them to the appointment) and your fingerprints will be taken for the production of the electronic residence permit (eAT card).
  • If your application is granted, the Foreigners' Registration Office will arrange for the eATKarte to be produced.
  • After about six to eight weeks, you can pick up the eAT Card at the Foreigners' Registration Office.
  • The eATKarte must always be collected in person.

Responsible for the content
Ministry of the Interior and Municipal Affairs of the State of Brandenburg

Last update or date of publication