Residence permit for the purpose of gainful employment Issued for the purpose of employment with strong practical professional knowledge

With a strong practical professional knowledge in the field of information and communication technology, you can obtain a residence permit under certain conditions. However, a formal qualification is not required.

If you have a strong practical professional knowledge, you can obtain a residence permit to work in the field of information and communication technology (IT industry).

To do this, you must have worked in the IT sector for at least three years in the last seven years and have thus acquired strong skills and knowledge about your job. In addition, the issuance of such a residence permit presupposes that there is an employment contract or a concrete job offer with a certain minimum salary.

You do not have to have completed any qualified vocational training or studies. Recognition of your qualification acquired abroad is also not required. It can be helpful if, in addition to your several years of professional experience, you can also demonstrate relevant theoretical knowledge (e.B. through certificates or certificates).

Before issuing the residence permit, the Federal Employment Agency must approve the employment. This also checks whether certain requirements can be waived. The Federal Employment Agency gives its consent for a maximum of four years.

The residence permit is issued for a limited period of time. Their validity depends on your employment contract or the period of validity of the consent of the Federal Employment Agency.

Under certain circumstances, the Foreigners' Registration Office may oblige you to participate in an integration course. This will then be noted on your residence permit.

If you are an employer and would like to hire an IT specialist from abroad, you can apply to the Foreigners' Registration Office for the accelerated skilled worker procedure under the authority of the foreigner, which can facilitate and accelerate the entry of skilled workers.

  • Valid passport
  • Proof of your at least three years of professional experience within the last seven years
  • If available, further proof of your acquired theoretical knowledge (e.B certificates)
  • Your language certificate level B1
  • Original of your employment contract or a binding job offer with salary information (please use the nationwide form Declaration of Employment Relationship )
  • Current biometric photo
  • Current registration certificate
  • Proof of your health insurance
  • Lease
  • In addition
  • in the case of recent entry:
  • Visa if required for entry
  • as well as in the case of a previous stay:
  • Current residence permit or other certificate of the right of residence (e.B. residence permit, toleration)
  • Further documents are required for the implementation of the accelerated skilled worker procedure by the employer. Please contact the competent immigration authority for this purpose.
  • Forms: Declaration of employment ( uniform nationwide); further authority-specific forms can be obtained from your immigration office, if necessary these are also offered online
  • Online procedure possible: isolated
  • Written form required: yes
  • Personal appearance necessary: yes


  • You have a recognized and valid passport or passport substitute and - if necessary for entry - a suitable visa.
  • There is no interest in expulsion against you.
  • Your stay does not endanger or adversely affect the interests of the Federal Republic of Germany.
  • You have worked in the IT sector for at least three years in the last seven years.
  • You have an employment contract or a binding job offer in the field of information and communication technology.
  • Your salary will reach at least 60% of the contribution assessment limit in the pension insurance. In 2020, 60% corresponds to a minimum gross salary of EUR 4,140 per month or EUR 49,680 per year (limit applies to the entire Federal territory). The amount of the contribution assessment limit is announced for each year by 31 December of the previous year by the Federal Ministry of the Interior, Building and Community in the Federal Gazette (see further information).
  • You can secure your livelihood and health insurance coverage independently without using public services.
  • You have sufficient knowledge of German. This corresponds to the language level B1. In individual cases, the requirement of German language skills can be waived. If this requirement is to be waived in your case, you must apply for and justify this.
  • The Federal Employment Agency has agreed to take up work (consent is usually obtained from the Foreigners' Registration Office). ==References====External links== Their working conditions (in particular salary) are comparable to those of a German employee in the same position.

§ 19c Abs. 2 AufenthG

§ 42 paragraph 1 number 2 Residence Act (AufenthG)

§ 6 Employment Ordinance (BeschV)

Related Links

  • Residence Act
  • Employment Ordinance

The residence permit must be applied for at the immigration authority responsible for your place of residence. The procedure is as follows:

  • Depending on the foreigners' registration office and concerns, it may be possible to apply via the Internet. Find out whether your immigration office offers the electronic application for a residence permit.
  • If the application is only possible in person, make an appointment with the Foreigners' Registration Office.
    During the appointment, your application will be accepted and your proofs will be checked (bring them with you to the appointment). Your fingerprints will be taken for the production of an electronic residence permit (eAT card).
  • In the event of an electronic application, the Foreigners' Registration Office will contact you upon receipt of your online application in order to make an appointment at the Foreigners' Registration Office if necessary. During the appointment, your proofs will be checked (bring them to the appointment) and your fingerprints will be taken for the production of the electronic residence permit (eAT card).
  • If your application is granted, the Foreigners' Registration Office will arrange for the eAT card to be produced.
  • After about six to eight weeks, you can pick up the eAT card at the Foreigners' Registration Office.
  • The eAT card must always be collected in person.

Fees apply for issuing the residence permit. The timing and form of payment vary depending on the authority.

Responsible for the content
Ministry of the Interior and Municipal Affairs
of the State of Brandenburg

Last update or date of publication