Applying for a residence permit for the purpose of research
If you want to take up work as a researcher in Germany, you can obtain a residence permit for the purpose of research.
You can obtain a residence permit for the purpose of research if you have concluded a hosting agreement or a corresponding contract with a research institution in Germany to carry out a research project.
With a German residence permit for research purposes, you can also conduct research and teach in another EU country for a limited period of time. Some Member States require a separate notification to the relevant competent authorities. You can find out more on the homepage of the Federal Office for Migration and on the procedure and contact details of the respective National Contact Points in other EU Member States (see "further information").
The residence permit for the purpose of research is a temporary residence permit. It shall be granted for at least one year and for at least 2 years if it participates in a Union or multilateral mobility programme. In the case of a shorter duration of the research project, it shall be granted for its duration, but for at least one year in the case of participation in a Union or multilateral programme with mobility measures.
The residence permit entitles the holder to take up research activities at the research institution specified in the hosting agreement and to take up activities in teaching. The changes to the research project during the stay do not lead to the loss of this authorization.
- Valid passport
- Visa, if required
- Current biometric photo
- Hosting agreement or a corresponding contract with a research institution
- Proof of subsistence (e.B. proof of income)
- Proof of your health insurance
- You can obtain forms specific to the immigration authority from your immigration office, if necessary these are also offered online.
- Online procedure occasionally possible
- Written form required: yes
- Personal appearance required: yes
- You have a recognized and valid passport or passport substitute and, if necessary, a suitable visa.
- There is no interest in expulsion against you.
- Your stay does not endanger or adversely affect the interests of the Federal Republic of Germany.
- You have concluded a hosting agreement or a corresponding contract with a research institution for the implementation of a research project in Germany.
A declaration of assumption of costs from the research institution is available.
In principle, the research institution must undertake in writing to bear the costs, the public authorities up to six months after the termination of the hosting agreement or the contract. These include the cost of living during an unauthorised stay in an EU member state and of deportation.
However, a declaration of assumption of costs is not required in certain cases. Please contact your competent immigration authority in this regard.
- You can secure your livelihood and health insurance coverage from your income without using public benefits.
§ 18d Abs. 1 AufenthG
§ 18d paragraph 1 Residence Act
Directive (EU 2016/801):
The residence permit must be applied for at the immigration authority responsible for your place of residence. The procedure is as follows:
- Depending on the foreigners' registration office and concerns, it may be possible to apply via the Internet. Find out whether your immigration office offers the electronic application for a residence permit.
- If the application is only possible in person, make an appointment with the Foreigners' Registration Office. During the appointment, your application will be accepted and your proofs will be checked (bring them with you to the appointment). Your fingerprints will be taken for the production of an electronic residence permit (eAT card).
- In the event of an electronic application, the Foreigners' Registration Office will contact you upon receipt of your online application in order to make an appointment at the Foreigners' Registration Office if necessary. During the appointment, your proofs will be checked (bring them to the appointment) and your fingerprints will be taken for the production of the electronic residence permit (eAT card).
- If your application is granted, the Foreigners' Registration Office will arrange for the eAT card to be produced.
- After about six to eight weeks, you can pick up the eAT card at the Foreigners' Registration Office.
- The eAT card must always be collected in person.
Fees apply for issuing the residence permit. The timing and form of payment vary depending on the authority
Responsible for the content
Ministry of the Interior and Municipal Affairs of the State of Brandenburg
Last update or date of publication