Applying for a residence permit for mobile researchers
If you want to work as a researcher at a German research institution and already have a residence permit from another EU member state for the purpose of research, you can obtain a residence permit under certain conditions
You can obtain a residence permit for the purpose of research if you have a residence permit valid for the duration of the procedure from another EU Member State for the purpose of research.
The residence permit for the purpose of research for mobile researchers is a temporary residence permit. It shall be granted for the duration of the research project, but for a maximum of one year.
The residence permit entitles the holder to take up research activities at the research institution specified in the hosting agreement and to take up activities in teaching. Changes to the research project during the stay do not lead to the loss of this authorization.
If the application for the granting of the residence permit is submitted at least 30 days before the start of the stay in the Federal territory and the residence permit of the other Member State is still valid, residence and employment in the Federal territory are considered permitted for up to 180 days from entry within a period of 360 days before your application is decided.
- Valid passport or passport replacement
- Current biometric photo
- Valid residence permit issued by the EU Member State for the purpose of research under Directive 2016/801
- Hosting agreement or a corresponding contract with a research institution for the implementation of a research project
- Proof of livelihood
- Proof of your health insurance
- You can obtain forms specific to the immigration authority from your immigration office, if necessary these are also offered online.
- Online procedure occasionally possible
- Written form required: yes
- Personal appearance required: yes
- You have a recognized and valid passport or passport replacement.
- There is no interest in expulsion against you.
- You hold a residence permit valid for the duration of the procedure from another EU Member State for the purpose of research under Directive (EU) 2016/801.
- Your stay does not endanger or adversely affect the interests of the Federal Republic of Germany.
- You have concluded a hosting agreement or a corresponding contract for the implementation of a research project with a research institution in Germany.
- You can secure your livelihood and health insurance coverage from your income without using public benefits.
§ 18f Residence Act (AufenthG)
Directive (EU) 2016/801 of the European Parliament and of the Council of 11 May 2016
The residence permit must be applied for at the immigration authority responsible for your place of residence. The procedure is as follows:
- Depending on the foreigners' registration office and concerns, it may be possible to apply via the Internet. Find out whether your immigration office offers the electronic application for a residence permit.
- If the application is only possible in person, make an appointment with the Foreigners' Registration Office. During the appointment, your application will be accepted and your proofs will be checked (bring them with you to the appointment). Your fingerprints will be taken for the production of an electronic residence permit (eAT card).
- In the event of an electronic application, the Foreigners' Registration Office will contact you upon receipt of your online application in order to make an appointment at the Foreigners' Registration Office if necessary. During the appointment, your proofs will be checked (bring them to the appointment) and your fingerprints will be taken for the production of the electronic residence permit (eAT card).
- If your application is granted, the Foreigners' Registration Office will arrange for the eAT card to be produced.
- After about six to eight weeks, you can pick up the eAT card at the Foreigners' Registration Office.
- The eAT card must always be collected in person.
Fees apply for issuing the residence permit. The timing and form of payment vary depending on the authority.
The application can also be submitted to the Federal Office for Migration and Refugees, which will forward your application to the competent immigration authority.
Responsible for the content
Ministry of the Interior and Municipal Affairs of the State of Brandenburg
Last update or date of publication