Residence permit for the purpose of gainful employment Issued to researchers who are recognised as refugees or the like in another EU country Unfortunately this specification of service has not yet been completely translated.
As a researcher, you can obtain a residence permit for the purpose of research under certain conditions
You can obtain a residence permit for the purpose of research if you are recognised as an international beneficiary or internationally entitled to protection in an EU Member State and have resided in that country for at least two years after the granting of the right to protection.
The residence permit for the purpose of research for beneficiaries of international protection is a temporary residence permit. It is granted for the duration of the research project.
The residence permit entitles the holder to take up research activities at the research institution specified in the hosting agreement and to take up activities in teaching. The changes to the research project during the stay do not lead to the loss of this authorization.
- Valid passport
- Current biometric photo
- Visa, if required
- Proof of the status of an international beneficiary in another EU Member State
- Proof of the length of stay in the EU Member State to be recognised as protection status
- Hosting agreement or a corresponding contract with a research institution for the implementation of the research project
- Proof of livelihood
- Proof of your health insurance
- You can obtain forms specific to the immigration authority from your immigration office, if necessary these are also offered online.
- Online procedure possible in isolated cases
- Written form required: yes
- Personal appearance required: yes
- You have a recognized and valid passport or passport replacement.
- There is no interest in expulsion against you.
- Your stay does not endanger or adversely affect the interests of the Federal Republic of Germany.
- You have concluded a hosting agreement or a corresponding contract for the implementation of a research project with a research institution in Germany.
- You have the status of an international beneficiary of protection in another EU Member State where you have resided for at least 2 years after the granting of the right to protection.
A declaration of assumption of costs from the research institution is available.
In principle, the research institution must undertake in writing to bear the costs, the public authorities up to six months after the termination of the hosting agreement or the contract. These include the costs of the foreigner's livelihood during an unauthorised stay in an EU member state and for deportation. In certain cases, the declaration of assumption of costs is not required. Please contact your competent immigration authority in this regard.
- You can secure your livelihood and health insurance coverage from your income without using public benefits.
§ 18d Abs. 6 AufenthG
§ 18d paragraph 6 Residence Act
The residence permit must be applied for at the immigration authority responsible for your place of residence. The procedure is as follows:
- Depending on the foreigners' registration office and concerns, it may be possible to apply via the Internet. Find out whether your immigration office offers the electronic application for a residence permit.
- If the application is only possible in person, make an appointment with the Foreigners' Registration Office. During the appointment, your application will be accepted and your proofs will be checked (bring them with you to the appointment). Your fingerprints will be taken for the production of an electronic residence permit (eAT card).
- In the event of an electronic application, the Foreigners' Registration Office will contact you upon receipt of your online application in order to make an appointment at the Foreigners' Registration Office if necessary. During the appointment, your proofs will be checked (bring them to the appointment) and your fingerprints will be taken for the production of the electronic residence permit (eAT card).
- If your application is granted, the Foreigners' Registration Office will arrange for the eAT card to be produced.
- After about six to eight weeks, you can pick up the eAT card at the Foreigners' Registration Office.
- The eAT card must always be collected in person.
Fees apply for issuing the residence permit. The timing and form of payment vary depending on the authority
Responsible for the content
No information available
Last update or date of publication