Residence permit for the purpose of training Extension for study preparation and study Unfortunately this specification of service has not yet been completely translated.
You can have your residence permit extended for the purpose of studying before the end of its period of validity if you meet certain requirements for this purpose.
The residence permit for the purpose of studying is a temporary residence permit. You can apply for the extension of the residence permit if you have not yet completed your studies, but can still achieve it within a reasonable period of time. For the duration of stay, a stay of ten years is usually considered the upper limit.
When deciding on the extension of a residence permit for the purpose of studying, the Foreigners' Registration Office may obtain and take into account the opinions of the university or other institutions admitted to training or further education in questions of study requirements, course of studies, graduation and other academic matters.
For the extension of the residence permit for the purpose of studying, the same conditions apply as for the granting. In particular, your livelihood should be secured for the duration of your studies.
In the event of an extension, your residence permit will again be limited in time. The residence permit for the purpose of studying is extended by at least one year and usually by two years or by the remaining duration of the study.
When participating in a Union or multilateral programme with mobility measures (e.B. ERASMUS+ programme of the European Union) or if the foreigner is subject to an agreement between two or more higher education institutions, the residence permit is extended for at least two years. If the course lasts less than two years, it is extended by its duration.
As a rule, the residence permit cannot be renewed if this has already been ruled out when the residence permit was issued or last renewed.
- Passport or passport replacement
- Current biometric photo
- Existing residence permit
- Proof of subsistence (e.B. blocked account with a German bank, scholarship certificate or declaration of commitment)
- Proof of your health insurance
- If applicable, proof of achievements in the course of study
- Forms: You can obtain authority-specific forms from your immigration office, if necessary they are also offered online.
- Online procedure possible in isolated cases
- Written form required: yes
- Personal appearance required: yes
- You have a recognised and valid passport or passport substitute as well as a valid residence permit for the purpose of studying in accordance with § 16b paragraph 1 of the Residence Act.
- The validity period of your residence permit will expire in the near future.
- There is no interest in expulsion against you.
- Your stay does not endanger or adversely affect the interests of the Federal Republic of Germany
- They have not yet completed their studies and can prove that they can achieve it within a reasonable period of time.
- Your livelihood is secured for the entire duration of your studies.
§ 8 paragraph 1 Residence Act (AufenthG)
§ 16b paragraph 1 Residence Act (AufenthG)
The extension of your residence permit must be applied for at the immigration authority responsible for your place of residence.
- Depending on the foreigners' registration office and concerns, it may be possible to apply via the Internet. Find out whether your immigration office offers the electronic application for a residence permit.
- If the application is only possible in person, please arrange an appointment with the Foreigners' Registration Office.
- During the appointment, your application will be accepted and your proofs will be checked (please bring them with you to the appointment). Your fingerprints will be taken for the issuance of the electronic residence permit (eAT).
- In the event of an electronic application, the Foreigners' Registration Office will contact you after receipt of your online application in order to arrange an appointment at the Foreigners' Registration Office. During the appointment, your proofs will be checked (please bring them to the appointment) and your fingerprints will be taken for the issuance of the eAT card.
- If your application is granted, the Foreigners' Registration Office will arrange for the eAT card to be produced.
- After about six to eight weeks, you can pick up an eAT card at the Foreigners' Registration Office.
- Fees apply for the extension of the residence permit. The timing and form of payment vary depending on the authority
Responsible for the content
No information available
Last update or date of publication