Apply for an extension of the residence permit for the recognition of the professional qualification on the basis of an agreement between the Federal Employment Agency
You can have your residence permit extended for the recognition of your professional qualification on the basis of an agreement with the Federal Employment Agency if you meet certain requirements for this.
You can apply for the extension of the residence permit if the procedure for the recognition of your foreign professional qualification is still ongoing. The procedure for recognition covers the time from the submission of the application to the issuance of a recognition decision concluding the procedure by the competent recognition authority. This includes the implementation of qualification measures and subsequent examinations, which are necessary for the determination of equivalence or the obtaining of the professional license.
In the event of an extension, your residence permit will again be limited in time. The residence permit for the recognition of the professional qualification on the basis of an agreement of the Federal Employment Agency is extended by one year up to a maximum period of three years. After three years, if you have successfully completed the recognition procedure, you can obtain a residence permit to look for a job for one year or a residence permit for another purpose of residence (e.B. to study, to complete vocational training or to work as a specialist)
The Federal Employment Agency must again agree to the exercise of employment in the desired occupational field. The consent is granted for a limited period of one year. This can be granted if you can prove that you continue to operate the recognition procedure.
As a rule, the residence permit cannot be extended if this has already been ruled out when the residence permit was issued or last extended.
- Passport or passport replacement
- Current biometric photo
- Existing residence permit
- Proof of subsistence (e.B. blocked account at a bank)
- Proof of your health insurance
- Employment contract
- Proof of the recognition procedure (e.B. initial decision of the recognising body or the certificate of participation for a qualification measure)
- Forms: You can obtain authority-specific forms from your immigration office, if necessary they are also offered online.
- Online procedure occasionally possible
- Written form required: yes
- Personal appearance required: yes
- You have a recognised and valid passport or passport substitute as well as a valid residence permit for the recognition of the professional qualification on the basis of an agreement between the Federal Employment Agency in accordance with § 16d paragraph 4 of the Residence Act.
- The validity period of your residence permit will expire in the near future.
- You operate the procedure to determine the equivalence of your foreign professional qualification or, if necessary, to issue the professional license at the competent recognition authority in Germany.
The Federal Employment Agency has approved the exercise of employment in the desired occupational field.
Consent is usually obtained by the Foreigners' Registration Office.
- There is no interest in expulsion against you.
- Your stay does not endanger or adversely affect the interests of the Federal Republic of Germany
- Your livelihood is secured.
§ 8 paragraph 1 Residence Act (AufenthG)
§ 16d paragraph 4 Residence Act (AufenthG)
§ 2 Employment Ordinance (BeschV)
The extension of your residence permit must be applied for at the immigration authority responsible for your place of residence.
- Depending on the foreigners' registration office and concerns, it may be possible to apply via the Internet. Find out whether your immigration office offers the electronic application for a residence permit.
- If the application is only possible in person, please arrange an appointment with the Foreigners' Registration Office.
- During the appointment, your application will be accepted and your proofs will be checked (please bring them with you to the appointment). Your fingerprints will be taken for the issuance of the electronic residence permit (eAT).
- In the event of an electronic application, the Foreigners' Registration Office will contact you after receipt of your online application in order to arrange an appointment at the Foreigners' Registration Office. During the appointment, your proofs will be checked (please bring them to the appointment) and your fingerprints will be taken for the issuance of the eAT card.
- If your application is granted, the Foreigners' Registration Office will arrange for the eAT card to be produced.
- After about six to eight weeks, you can pick up your eAT card at the Foreigners' Registration Office
- Fees apply for the extension of the residence permit. The timing and form of payment vary depending on the authority
Responsible for the content
Ministry of the Interior and Municipal Affairs of the State of Brandenburg
Last update or date of publication