Extend residence permit for training and further education purposes
You must renew your residence permit, which was issued to you for training and further education purposes, in good time if you want to continue your training or further education in Germany.
If you have a residence permit for the purpose of education and training, the validity of which will soon end, you must apply for the extension of the residence permit in good time.
For the extension of the residence permit, the same conditions as for the first issue must be met. In principle, your residence permit can be extended until the end of the training or further education if the training or further education relationship continues and a presumably successful completion.
Proof of livelihood security must be provided for the entire duration of in-company training or further education
The residence permit can only be extended if the approval of the Federal Employment Agency is still valid. The Foreigners' Registration Office checks this in an internal procedure and, if necessary, obtains approval again.
An extension is excluded if this has already been excluded by the Foreigners' Registration Office at the time of granting or the last extension.
The residence permit is limited in time. As a rule, their validity depends on the remaining duration of the training or further education.
If you were obliged to attend an integration course when you issued your residence permit, you must prove that you have fulfilled this obligation. If you have not yet completed the integration course, the Foreigners' Registration Office may refuse the extension or extend the residence permit only for one year until you have successfully completed the course or proof has been provided that your integration into social life has taken place elsewhere.
If you have not yet reached the age of 18, a person entitled to your personal care must agree to the extended stay for the purpose of continuing the company's training or further education.
During qualified vocational training, you are allowed to pursue employment. However, the extension of your residence permit is only possible if the successful completion of your vocational training is not jeopardized by the exercise of gainful employment.
After successful completion of qualified vocational training, your residence permit for the search for a job can be extended for up to twelve months.
If your qualified vocational training or further education ends prematurely for reasons for which you are not responsible, you may be given the opportunity to look for another training place for a period of up to six months.
During the validity of a residence permit for in-company training and further education, it is generally possible to switch to another qualified vocational training. Likewise, if you meet the necessary requirements, you can apply to the Foreigners' Registration Office to obtain a residence permit for employment as a specialist, for the exercise of employment with pronounced practical professional knowledge, for a course of study or other purposes to which you have a legal right (change of purpose).
- Valid passport
- Current residence permit
- Current biometric photo
- Training or further education contract
- Proof that your livelihood is still secured (e.g. rental agreement)
- Proof of your health insurance
- Approval of the Federal Employment Agency (if this has already expired)
- Consent of the person entitled to custody to the extended stay if you have not yet reached the age of 18
- If applicable, proof that the integration course has been completed or that the integration into social life has taken place elsewhere
- Online procedure possible in isolated cases
- Written form required: yes
- Personal appearance required: yes
- You have a recognized and valid passport or passport replacement.
- There is no interest in expulsion against you.
- Your stay does not endanger or adversely affect the interests of the Federal Republic of Germany.
- Your livelihood is secured.
- The approval of the Federal Employment Agency has been obtained.
§ 8 in conjunction with § 16a Abs. 1 AufenthG
The extension of the residence permit must be applied for at the immigration authority responsible for your place of residence before your current residence permit expires.
The procedure is as follows:
Depending on the foreigners' registration office and concerns, it may be possible to apply via the Internet. Find out whether your immigration authority offers the electronic application.
In the event of an electronic application, the Foreigners' Registration Office will contact you upon receipt of your application in order to make an appointment at the Foreigners' Registration Office. During the appointment, your certificates will be checked (bring them with you to the appointment in the original).
- If the application is only possible in person, make an appointment with the Foreigners' Registration Office. During the appointment, your application will be accepted and your proofs will be checked (bring them with you to the appointment in the original).
- If the approval of the Federal Employment Agency has to be renewed, the Foreigners' Registration Office usually obtains it in an internal administrative procedure.
- Your residence permit will then either be extended or you will receive a rejection notice.
- For the extension of the residence permit, your current electronic residence permit (eAT card) will be renewed. For the renewal, your fingerprints will be taken at the Foreigners' Registration Office. You must also provide a signature.
- After about six to eight weeks, you can pick up the eAT card at the Foreigners' Registration Office. In principle, the collection must be made in person.
- Fees apply for the extension of the residence permit. The timing and form of payment vary depending on the authority.
- The extension of the residence permit is limited in time and is only valid for this purpose of residence.
- If the purpose of your stay changes, you must inform the competent immigration authority immediately.
You must apply for the extension of the residence permit in good time before the expiry of the period of validity.
Responsible for the content
Ministry of the Interior and Municipal Affairs
of the State of Brandenburg
Last update or date of publication