Apply for a residence permit for the purpose of applying for a degree
You can obtain a residence permit for the purpose of applying for a degree if you meet certain requirements for this.
You can obtain a residence permit for the purpose of applying for study if you want to study in Germany but have not yet been allocated a study place or if no study place is safely available.
The residence permit for the study application is a temporary residence permit. It can be granted for a maximum of 9 months.
If you have not yet reached the age of 18, the persons entitled to personal care must agree to your planned stay for the purpose of applying for studies.
- Valid passport
- Current biometric photo
- Visa, if required
- Proof of subsistence (e.g. declaration of commitment, blocked account with a bank, proof of the income of the parents or similar)
- Rental agreement
- Proof of your health insurance
- Proof of a corresponding school leaving certificate
- Proof of existing language skills (e.g. a certificate) or practice the intended acquisition of language skills
- If applicable, consent of the persons entitled to custody
- Forms: Forms can be obtained from your immigration office, if necessary they are also offered online
- Online procedure possible in isolated cases
- Written form required: yes
- Personal appearance required: yes
- You have a recognised and valid passport or passport substitute and- if necessary for entry - an appropriate visa.
- There is no interest in expulsion against you.
- Your stay does not endanger or adversely affect the interests of the Federal Republic of Germany.
- You have a school leaving certificate that entitles you directly to study in Germany or, alternatively, to attend a Studienkolleg.
- They have the language requirements for starting their studies or can prove that they intend to acquire the language skills required for their studies in Germany within a maximum of 9 months.
- Your livelihood is secured for the duration of the study application.
§ 17 Abs. 2 AufenthG
The residence permit must be applied for at the immigration authority responsible for your place of residence. The procedure is as follows:
- Depending on the foreigners' registration office and concerns, it may be possible to apply via the Internet. Find out whether your immigration office offers the electronic application for a residence permit.
- If the application is only possible in person, make an appointment with the Foreigners' Registration Office. During the appointment, your application will be accepted and your proofs will be checked (bring them with you to the appointment). Your fingerprints will be taken for the production of an electronic residence permit (eAT card).
- In the event of an electronic application, the Foreigners' Registration Office will contact you upon receipt of your online application in order to make an appointment at the Foreigners' Registration Office if necessary. During the appointment, your proofs will be checked (bring them to the appointment) and your fingerprints will be taken for the production of the electronic residence permit (eAT card).
- If your application is granted, the Foreigners' Registration Office will arrange for the eAT card to be produced.
- After about six to eight weeks, you can pick up the eAT card at the Foreigners' Registration Office.
- The eAT card must always be collected in person.
- Fees apply for issuing the residence permit. The timing and form of payment vary depending on the authority.
Responsible for the content
Ministry of the Interior and Municipal Affairs
of the State of Brandenburg
Last update or date of publication