Apply for a residence permit to carry out a qualification measure with employment
You can obtain a residence permit to carry out a qualification measure for the recognition of your foreign professional qualification and at the same time exercise an employment that is not limited in time if you meet certain conditions.
You can obtain a residence permit to carry out a qualification measure if a recognition procedure has been carried out at a body responsible in Germany for the recognition of professional qualifications and the recognition authority has determined that the qualification measures for the
- Determination of the equivalence of your foreign professional qualification with a domestic professional qualification or
- for the issuance of the professional license (access to the profession) in a profession regulated in Germany
Regulated professions are those for the access and exercise of which special professional qualifications had to be acquired, e.B. in doctors, architects, pharmacists. You can find out whether your profession is regulated in Germany, by which laws it is regulated and where you have to contact to check your qualifications, in the information portal "Recognition in Germany" (see "Further information")
Qualification measures include adaptation and compensatory measures in theoretical and practical form (internships in the company, theoretical courses, mixed forms), preparation courses for examinations and language courses.
In addition to the implementation of a qualification measure, they may engage in employment that is not limited in time if the intended activity during the recognition procedure is related to the professional knowledge required in the subsequent employment. Such a connection exists.B, for example, if you want to have your foreign medical training recognized and already want to work as a nursing assistant during the qualification measure or if you already want to work as a bricklayer or as a construction assistant during the qualification measure as a bricklayer.
For regulated professions, a licence to practise a profession must be granted or promised. The professional license includes the professional authority to practice the profession as well as the granting of the permit to use the professional title.
The residence permit for the implementation of a qualification measure with employment is a temporary residence permit. It shall be granted for the duration of the qualification measure, but for a maximum of 18 months.
- Valid passport
- Current biometric photo
- Visa, if required
- Deficit decision of the Recognition Authority
- Proof of at least sufficient German language skills at level A 2
- Proof of the intended qualification measure, if necessary. Training plan
- Concrete job offer for later employment after obtaining full recognition
- Concrete job offer for a planned employment during the recognition procedure (proof by the submission of the declaration of employment relationship, see under "Further information")
- Proof of livelihood
- Proof of your health insurance
- If applicable, professional practice permit
- Forms: Forms can be obtained from your immigration office, if necessary they are also offered online
- Online procedure occasionally possible
- Written form required: yes
- Personal appearance necessary: yes
- You have a recognized and valid passport or passport substitute and, if necessary for entry - a dedicated visa.
- There is no interest in expulsion against you.
- Your stay does not endanger or adversely affect the interests of the Federal Republic of Germany.
The body responsible for the recognition of your professional qualification in Germany has issued a decision stating that you lack practical or theoretical knowledge or skills in order to achieve full equivalence and that the adaptation, compensatory measures or further qualifications are required to determine the equivalence of your foreign professional qualification with a domestic professional qualification.
If you intend to work in a regulated profession, it must follow from the decision that the adaptation or compensatory measures are necessary for the granting of the professional license.
- You have successfully registered for a corresponding qualification measure.
- The qualification measure is suitable for enabling the recognition of the professional qualification or access to the profession.
- You have at least a knowledge of German at level A2.
- You can submit a concrete job offer for a later employment after obtaining full recognition as well as a concrete job offer for the intended employment during the recognition procedure.
- The intended activity is related to the professional knowledge required in the subsequent employment.
The Federal Employment Agency has agreed to the exercise of employment.
Consent is usually obtained from the Foreigners' Registration Office.
- You can secure your livelihood and health insurance coverage without using public benefits.
- For regulated professions, a professional licence must be issued or promised, insofar as this is necessary.
§ 16 d paragraph 1 i.V.m. § 16d Abs. 2 AufenthG
§ 16d paragraph 2 Of the Residence Act
The residence permit must be applied for at the immigration authority responsible for your place of residence. The procedure is as follows:
- Depending on the foreigners' registration office and concerns, it may be possible to apply via the Internet. Find out whether your immigration office offers the electronic application for a residence permit.
- If the application is only possible in person, make an appointment with the Foreigners' Registration Office. During the appointment, your application will be accepted and your proofs will be checked (bring them with you to the appointment). Your fingerprints will be taken for the production of an electronic residence permit (eATCard).
- In the event of an electronic application, the Foreigners' Registration Office will contact you after receipt of your online application in order to make an appointment at the Foreigners' Registration Office if necessary. During the appointment, your proofs will be checked (bring them to the appointment) and your fingerprints will be taken for the production of the electronic residence permit (eAT card).
- If your application is granted, the Foreigners' Registration Office will arrange for the eATKarte to be produced.
- After about six to eight weeks, you can pick up the eAT Card at the Foreigners' Registration Office.
- The eATKarte must always be collected in person.
Fees apply for issuing the residence permit. The timing and form of payment vary depending on the authority.
Responsible for the content
Ministry of the Interior and Municipal Affairs
of the State of Brandenburg
Last update or date of publication