Applying for a residence permit to carry out a qualification measure
You can obtain a residence permit to carry out a qualification measure if you want to work in Germany, but your professional qualification has not yet been fully recognised by the competent authority in Germany.
You can obtain a residence permit to carry out a qualification measure if a recognition procedure has been carried out at a body responsible in Germany for the recognition of professional qualifications and the recognition authority has determined that the qualification measures for the
- the recognition of your professional qualification (determination of equivalence to a domestic professional qualification) or
- for the granting of the professional license (access to the profession)
Qualification measures include adaptation and compensatory measures in theoretical and practical form (internships in the company, theoretical courses, mixed forms), preparation courses for examinations and language courses.
The residence permit for the recognition of foreign professional qualifications is a temporary residence permit. It shall be granted for the duration of the qualification measure, but for a maximum of 18 months.
With your residence permit for the exercise of foreign professional qualifications, you may work up to 10 hours per week, independent of the qualification measure.
- Valid passport
- Current biometric photo
- Visa, if required
- Deficit decision of the recognition authority
- Proof of at least sufficient knowledge of German at level A 2
- Proof of the intended qualification measure, if necessary. Training plan
- Proof of livelihood
- Rental agreement
- Proof of your health insurance
- Forms: Forms can be obtained from your immigration office, if necessary they are also offered online
- Online procedure possible in isolated cases
- Written form required: yes
- Personal appearance required: yes
- You have a recognised and valid passport or passport substitute and- if necessary for entry - an appropriate visa.
- There is no interest in expulsion against you.
- Your stay does not endanger or adversely affect the interests of the Federal Republic of Germany.
- The body responsible for the recognition of your professional qualification in Germany has issued a decision stating that you lack practical or theoretical knowledge or skills in order to achieve full equivalence and that the adaptation, compensatory measures or other qualifications are required to determine the equivalence of your foreign professional qualification with a domestic professional qualification.
If you carry out an activity whose taking up or exercise is bound by law or administrative regulations to the possession of certain professional qualifications (e.B. in the case of doctors, nurses, lawyers, teachers, educators or engineers, so-called regulated professions), it must follow from the decision that adaptation or compensatory measures are necessary for the granting of the professional license.
- You have successfully registered for a corresponding qualification measure.
- The qualification measure is suitable for enabling the recognition of the professional qualification or access to the profession.
- You have at least German language skills at level A2
- In the case of predominantly in-company vocational training, the Federal Employment Agency has approved the qualification measure if the consent is not dispensable (the consent is usually obtained from the Foreigners' Registration Office).
- Your livelihood is secured.
§ 16d Abs. 1 AufenthG
The residence permit must be applied for at the immigration authority responsible for your place of residence. The procedure is as follows:
- Depending on the foreigners' registration office and concerns, it may be possible to apply via the Internet. Find out whether your immigration office offers the electronic application for a residence permit.
- If the application is only possible in person, make an appointment with the Foreigners' Registration Office. During the appointment, your application will be accepted and your proofs will be checked (bring them with you to the appointment). Your fingerprints will be taken for the production of an electronic residence permit (eAT card).
- In the event of an electronic application, the Foreigners' Registration Office will contact you upon receipt of your online application in order to make an appointment at the Foreigners' Registration Office if necessary. During the appointment, your proofs will be checked (bring them to the appointment) and your fingerprints will be taken for the production of the electronic residence permit (eAT card).
- If your application is granted, the Foreigners' Registration Office will arrange for the eAT card to be produced.
- After about six to eight weeks, you can pick up the eAT card at the Foreigners' Registration Office.
- The eAT card must always be collected in person.
Fees apply for issuing the residence permit. The timing and form of payment vary depending on the authority.
Responsible for the content
Ministry of the Interior and Municipal Affairs
of the State of Brandenburg
Last update or date of publication