Residence permit for the purpose of training Granted for the recognition of professional qualification during employment Unfortunately this specification of service has not yet been completely translated.

You can obtain a residence permit for the recognition of foreign professional qualifications in order to compensate for the deficits in your professional qualification identified by the recognition body, even in the context of qualified employment in the desired profession.

They can obtain a residence permit for the recognition of a qualification measure if they intend to work in a non-regulated profession in order to compensate for the identified deficits in the context of qualified employment. Non-regulated professions are professions without certain government requirements for their exercise. This means that there is no professional license that would be necessary to work in the profession.

The Federal Employment Agency must agree to the exercise of employment. Within the framework of the consent, it examines, among other things, whether the employment does not take place under less favourable working conditions than the employment of comparable domestic employees.

The residence permit for the recognition of the professional qualification during employment is a temporary residence permit. It is granted for two years.

  • Valid passport
  • Current biometric photo
  • Visa, if required
  • Deficit decision of the Recognition Authority
  • Proof of at least sufficient German language skills at level A 2 by presenting a language certificate
  • Concrete job offer (proof by the declaration of employment relationship, see under "Further information")
  • Proof of livelihood
  • Lease
  • Proof of your health insurance
  • Forms: Forms can be obtained from your immigration office, if necessary they are also offered online
  • Online procedure possible in isolated cases
  • Written form required: yes
  • Personal appearance necessary: yes


  • You have a recognized and valid passport or passport substitute and, if necessary for entry - a sappropriated visa.
  • There is no interest in expulsion against you.
  • Your stay does not endanger or adversely affect the interests of the Federal Republic of Germany.
  • The body responsible for the recognition of your professional qualification in Germany has issued a decision to determine that you lack skills, knowledge and abilities predominantly in operational practice.
  • You have at least German language skills at level A2
  • A concrete job offer is available.
  • Your future employer has provided an employment contract guarantee that it will enable you to gain professional recognition during your stay in Germany.
  • The Federal Employment Agency has agreed to the exercise of the employment (the consent is usually obtained from the Foreigners' Registration Office).
  • You can secure your livelihood and health insurance coverage without using public benefits.

§ 16d Abs. 3 AufenthG

Related Links

  • § 16d paragraph 3 Of the Residence Act

The residence permit must be applied for at the immigration authority responsible for your place of residence. The procedure is as follows:

  • Depending on the foreigners' registration office and concerns, it may be possible to apply via the Internet. Find out whether your immigration office offers the electronic application for a residence permit.
  • If the application is only possible in person, make an appointment with the Foreigners' Registration Office. During the appointment, your application will be accepted and your proofs will be checked (bring them with you to the appointment). Your fingerprints will be taken for the production of an electronic residence permit (eATCard).
  • In the event of an electronic application, the Foreigners' Registration Office will contact you after receipt of your online application in order to make an appointment at the Foreigners' Registration Office if necessary. During the appointment, your proofs will be checked (bring them to the appointment) and your fingerprints will be taken for the production of the electronic residence permit (eAT card).
  • If your application is granted, the Foreigners' Registration Office will arrange for the eATKarte to be produced.
  • After about six to eight weeks, you can pick up the eAT Card at the Foreigners' Registration Office.
  • The eATKarte must always be collected in person.
  • Fees apply for issuing the residence permit. The timing and form of payment vary depending on the authority

Responsible for the content
No information available

Last update or date of publication