Applying for an extension of the residence permit for victims of a crime in accordance with §§ 232 to 233a StGB

Extension of a residence permit for victims of a crime for trafficking in human beings.

You are in possession of a residence permit for victims of a crime according to §§ 232 to 233a StGB (human trafficking). In this case, your residence permit should be extended by the Foreigners' Registration Office for a further two years if humanitarian or personal reasons or public interests require your continued presence in Germany.

Humanitarian reasons exist, for example, if you no longer have a livelihood in your country of origin or if you have to reckon with disadvantages, exclusion or retaliation due to your participation in criminal proceedings.

In principle, you are entitled to a residence permit.

You are still entitled to benefits under SGB II (basic security for jobseekers) or basic security in old age or in the event of reduced earning capacity, child benefit.

Family reunification for your spouse and the minor child (so-called nuclear family) is only possible for international or humanitarian reasons or to safeguard the political interests of the Federal Republic of Germany. The family members themselves must meet the conditions for admission from abroad on international law or humanitarian grounds,

The pursuit of gainful employment is not permitted. It can only be allowed by the Foreigners' Registration Office.

You are obliged to participate in an integration course if you do not have a basic knowledge of German.

  • current biometric photo
  • Previous residence permit

receive from your local immigration authority

Online procedure possible: no

Personal appearance required: yes


  • Existence of an application for renewal
  • Termination of criminal proceedings
  • Humanitarian or personal reasons or public interests must justify the continued presence in the Federal territory There must be no grounds for refusal (No impairment or endangerment of the interests of the Federal Republic of Germany; no deportation order, no interest in expulsion according to § 54 para. 1 no. 2 or 4 AufenthG)

§ 8 Abs. 1 i.V.m. § 25 Abs. 4a AufenthG

§ 4a AufenthG

§ 5 Abs. 1 Nr. 3 AufenthG

§ 25 sec. 4a sentence 1, 3 AufenthG

§ 29 Abs. 3 AufenthG

§ 44 AufenthG

§ 44a sec. 1 sentence 1 no. 1 a) AufenthG

§ 54 Abs. 1 Nr. 2, Nr. 4 AufenthG

§ 53 AufenthV

Related Links

  • Residence Act
  • Residence Ordinance

As a rule, you must apply for the extension of your residence permit in person - early before the expiry of the validity of your residence permit - at your competent immigration authority.

Make an appointment with the local immigration authority. You can also find out on the respective website of the Ausländerbörde about the application process and which documents you have to submit in which form.

If you have submitted an application for an extension in due time (before the expiry of the validity of your residence permit), your previous stay is considered permitted until the decision of the Foreigners' Registration Office.

If your application is granted, the Foreigners' Registration Office instructs Bundesdruckerei to produce the electronic residence permit (eAT) with a new validity date

With regard to the duration of the procedure until the residence permit is handed over, please contact the competent immigration authority.

Responsible for the content
Saxon State Ministry of the Interior

Last update or date of publication