Apply for BAföG for a course of study

You can receive financial support for your studies or internship if your parents do not have a higher income or if you have already worked independently of your parents for a long time. This support is called BAföG.

BAföG is the abbreviation for Federal Training Assistance Act. BAföG is colloquially referred to as the funding that you can receive under this law. You will receive the funding for financing

  • your studies,
  • under certain conditions of a prescribed internship as part of your studies.

To receive the monthly grant, you must meet a number of requirements. The most important are:

  • Your parents and/or spouse/partner do not have a higher income
  • You yourself have no or only a low income, for example from a mini-job.
  • Your assets are below or only slightly above the allowance of EUR 8,200
  • You study full-time
  • Age limit: 30 years; in the Master 35 years (exceptions are possible)

The amount of your BAföG depends on a fixed monthly requirement. Money is deducted from this need if your parents, spouse/partner or yourself earn a little more.

If you are studying, you will receive half of the funding as a loan and half as a grant. This means that you regularly only have to repay half of the money after graduation. In principle, you do not have to pay any interest on the loan ("interest-free loan"). The maximum repayment amount is usually EUR 10,010, regardless of how high the total funding was. This corresponds to 77 monthly installments of EUR 130.00 each from the beginning of the repayment. The Federal Office of Administration is responsible for loan collection. You will only start repaying 5 years after the end of the maximum funding period, which usually corresponds to your standard period of study. If you do not earn enough to take out the repayment of your loan, you can apply to the Federal Office of Administration for a deferral of payment.

When you study, your monthly needs are made up of different parts:

  • Basic needs:
    • EUR 427.00 if you complete your training at a higher technical school, academy or university (for example at a university).
  • Need for accommodation:
    • EUR 56.00 if you live with your parents or
    • EUR 325.00 if you do not live with your parents.
  • If you cannot take out health/long-term care insurance through your parents, you will receive an additional EUR 84.00 or EUR 25.00.
  • If you have a child under the age of 14 who lives in your household, you will also receive a childcare supplement: EUR 150.00 for each child.

If you are completing a semester or year abroad, you can apply for supplements to travel expenses, tuition fees and foreign health insurance; in the case of study visits to the EU, stays of less than six months are also eligible; Furthermore, you can also receive BAföG if you complete your entire studies in another EU country; for stays abroad outside the EU/Switzerland, purchasing power compensation is also granted.

The following amounts are credited, i.e. they reduce your BAföG needs:

  • The income of your parents and/or your spouse/partner in the penultimate year before the start of the authorisation period if it is higher than the allowance. The allowance is:
    • EUR 2,000 if your parents live together,
    • EUR 1,330 per parent if your parents live separately and
    • EUR 1,330 for a possible spouse/partner.
    • Note: If your parents or spouse/partner are currently earning significantly less than in the penultimate year before approval, you can apply for an update.
    • Parent-independent BAföG: Your parents' income is not taken into account,
      • if you have been employed for five years after reaching the age of 18,
      • if you have completed a three-year apprenticeship and have been employed for at least three years thereafter (correspondingly longer employment in the case of shorter training),
      • in certain exceptional cases, if you are over 30 years of age at the beginning of the training.
  • Your own income, as far as it is more than EUR 450.00 per month.
  • Your own assets, as far as they are higher than EUR 8,200.

Note: The starting point for the income calculation is basically the sum of the positive income. In the law on educational support, this is the gross income less the

  • Advertising costs
  • Social lump sum and the
  • taxes actually paid, including church tax and solidarity surcharge.

You can receive BAföG until the end of the standard period of study. Only in exceptional cases can your BAföG be extended afterwards, for example if you

  • have not passed the final examination for the first time,
  • have a disability,
  • are or have been pregnant,
  • have raised a child up to 14 years of age,
  • are or have been active in statutory or statutory bodies and bodies of the university, the student self-administration, the Studierendenwerke or the federal states, or
  • have cared for close relatives classified at least in care level 3.

If you drop out of a course of study and start another course of study ("change of degree programme"), your new course of study can only be funded if

  • the change took place at the latest in the 2nd semester or
  • the change took place in the 3rd semester and there is an important reason for the change or
  • the change follows from the 4th semester and there was an undeniable reason for the change, for example:
    • a disability or allergy to certain substances which has occurred after commencement of training and which makes it impossible to continue training or to pursue the profession previously pursued.

BAföG can only be used to support internships that you complete while you are in an apprenticeship that is eligible under BAföG.

Only compulsory internships are funded. These are internships that your study regulations or training plan prescribe, so you have to do in order to complete or complete your studies or training. Compulsory traineeships completed outside the EU are only eligible if they last at least 12 weeks. Compulsory internships within EU Member States can also be funded if they are shorter than 12 weeks.

You can also get BAföG if you complete your entire studies in another EU country.

  • Certificate of enrolment with the imprint "according to § 9 BAföG" in the original or certificate of the training institution
  • If applicable, copy of the
    • Id
    • Passports or
    • current residence permit
  • If you do not live with your parents: copy
    • the rental agreement or
    • the registration certificate
  • If you do not have family insurance: proof of health and long-term care insurance with legal basis and amount of contributions
  • If necessary, proof of your own income during the approval period, for example
    • Payroll, part-time job, work contract,
    • Orphan's pension notice,
    • Scholarship notice,
    • Riester pension certificate
  • Proof of assets or debts on the day of application, for example bank statement
  • If you have a car:
    • Estimation of the value, for example printing from a website with a comparable offer, and
    • Motor vehicle registration.
  • From the 5th semester: Proof of achievement from your university.

Depending on the case, further documents may be required. Please follow the instructions in the application forms. The BAföG office responsible for you will request missing documents.

Forms: Form 01 Application for educational support and other forms depending on the case

Online procedure possible: yes

Written form required: yes

Personal appearance required: no

Related Links

  • Form 01 Application for educational support on the BAföG website
  • All application forms on the BAföG website


You can receive BAföG if

  • You attend a university, an academy or a higher technical school. If it is a private training institution, it must be recognized by the state.
  • you are studying full-time,
  • You either
    • are German or German, or
    • You are a foreigner and for example:
      • have a right of permanent residence or a settlement permit,
      • are union citizens and, as employees or self-employed persons, are entitled to freedom of movement under EU law or are themselves entitled to freedom of movement as the child or spouse of such a Union citizen,
      • hold prospects of staying in Germany, for example a corresponding residence permit for family, humanitarian or political reasons, or
      • have already been in Germany for 5 years or more before the start of the training and have worked during this time.
    • Note: Since the legal regulation is very complex, you should contact your responsible office for educational support at an early stage.
  • You are younger than
    • 30 years (Bachelor's degree) or
    • 35 years (Master's programme)
    • Exceptions:
      • You have acquired the university entrance qualification on the 2nd educational path,
      • You have enrolled at a university solely on the basis of your professional qualifications,
      • for personal or family reasons, in particular because of the uninterrupted upbringing of a child under the age of 14, they were prevented from starting the training period on time (and did not work more than 30 hours a week), or
      • They have become needy due to drastic changes in personal circumstances. For this reason, you were not able to complete an apprenticeship that is eligible for BAföG in order to qualify for a profession.

You will receive BAföG for your studies and the internship if this is prescribed by the training regulations and lasts at least 12 weeks for internships outside the EU. For stays abroad within the EU, shorter compulsory internships can also be funded.

Related Links

  • Federal Act on Individual Promotion of Training (BAföG)

If you would like to apply for BAföG for your studies online:

  • First, activate the online ID function of your identity card, electronic residence permit or Your European eID. To do this, you need to register.
  • The procedure depends on the federal state in which you are completing your studies.

If you do not have an eID, you can still submit your application data electronically. However, for a legally valid application, you must print out the application and send it signed by post or as an upload to the responsible Office for Educational Support.

If you would like to submit the application in paper form:

  • Go to the BAföG website and download the application forms that concern you. Alternatively, you can also pick up the applications at your Studierendenwerk.
  • You can fill out and print the forms on the computer or print them out and fill them out by hand.
  • The application must be signed.
  • Add the necessary evidence.
  • Send the completed application forms with the support documents directly to the office responsible for educational support for you.
  • The Office for Educational Support checks the documents for completeness. If documents are missing, they will be requested from you. If the application is complete, it will be examined and the decision will be communicated to you by decision.

Responsible for the content
Federal Ministry of Education and Research (BMBF)

Last update or date of publication