Apply for a postal vote
Would you like to vote by post? For this you need a polling card. You can find out how to get it here.
You have received a voter notification, but you cannot appear in the polling station on election day. In
in this case, you can apply for election documents for a postal vote.
Where you can apply for the documents is indicated on the back of your election notification.
You can have the documents for the postal vote sent to you or you can pick them up at the Citizens' Office.
If you send your polling card and postal voting documents in person to the city or
You can cast your vote on the spot.
You can either send the election documents to the election office or in person at the city or
By picking up the postal voting documents from the municipality, you can also find a person you trust
instruct. The authorised representative requires a written power of attorney for this.
You have received a voter notification and would like to cast your vote for the election by mail.
If you cannot cast your vote by postal ballot alone because of a physical impairment or because of writing and reading problems, another person may help you with this. Your helper must be at least 16 years old and confirm by means of an assurance on oath that the ballot paper has been marked according to your declared will.
§ 36 Federal Elections Act (BWahlG)
Federal Electoral Act
§66 Federal Election Ordinance (BWO)
Federal Electoral Regulations (BWO)
§ 33 Municipal and District Elections Act (GKWG)
§ 51 Municipal and District Election Regulations - GKWO
§ 50 State Election Regulations (LWO)
§ 22 Land Election Act (LWahlG)
Upon your application for postal voting, you will receive the following documents:
- the ballot paper,
- the official ballot paper,
- the official ballot paper envelope,
- the official ballot envelope and
- the leaflet on postal voting, on which the postal vote is explained
Postal vote by post:
- Personally mark the ballot paper.
- Place the ballot paper in the official ballot envelope provided for this purpose and close it.
- Sign the insurance pre-printed on the ballot paper on oath, indicate the place and date.
- Insert the sealed official ballot paper envelope and the signed ballot paper into the official ballot envelope.
- Close the ballot envelope.
Send the ballot letter in good time to the place printed on the ballot envelope or hand it in there in person.
Responsible for the content
Ministry of the Interior of North Rhine-Westphalia
Last update or date of publication