Apply for an eID card as a European citizen

If you are a citizen of the European Union or a member of the European Economic Area, you can apply for an eID card to identify yourself online.

The eID card is a chip card that allows you to prove your identity electronically. With the eID card, you can identify yourself online and, for example, deal with administrative procedures or business transactions digitally.

You can receive the German eID card as a citizen of another member state of the European Union as well as Iceland, Liechtenstein or Norway (European Economic Area) regardless of whether you live in Germany or not.

The online ID function of the eID card offers you as a citizen of these countries the same electronic function as the German electronic identity card or the electronic residence title in Germany. You can apply for the eID card regardless of whether your home country has an eID system or not.

If you use the eID card, you can decide for yourself and control whether and to whom you transmit personal data digitally.

  • ID card (identity card), passport or other valid identity document issued by your home country
  • If you do not have a place of residence in Germany, another proof of your place of residence is required. You can request the necessary documents from the responsible diplomatic mission abroad.

If you have moved to Germany and have not yet registered, you must first register with a German registration authority (usually: Bürgeramt). You can ask your registration office which documents are required for registration.

Forms: no

Online procedure possible: no

Written form required: no

Personal appearance necessary: yes


They are

  • at least 16 years old and
  • citizen of another state of the European Union, or
  • Citizen of another country of the European Economic Area.

Related Links

  • § 8 Act on a Card for Union Citizens and Nationals of the European Economic Area with Electronic Proof of Identity Function (eIDKG)
  • §§ 2 to 2a Ordinance on Fees for Identity Cards and Electronic Proof of Identity (PAuswGebV)

You can apply for the eID card in person at the Bürgeramt for your place of residence.

  • Contact your citizens' office and make an appointment if necessary.

If you want to apply for your eID card outside of Germany (from 1 November 2021):

  • Contact the Federal Foreign Office and the diplomatic mission in the district where you live.

Responsible for the content
Federal Ministry of the Interior, Building and Community

Last update or date of publication