Residence permit for the purpose of gainful employment Extension for the exercise of highly qualified employment
You can apply for the extension of your EU Blue Card if its validity ends soon and you want to continue your employment in Germany.
The EU Blue Card is a temporary residence permit. It was granted for a limited period. You can apply for the extension of the EU Blue Card if your employment is to continue beyond the period of validity of your EU Blue Card.
Apply for the extension of your EU Blue Card at least eight weeks before the expiry of the time limit at the immigration authority responsible for your place of residence.
The same conditions apply to the renewal of the EU Blue Card as to the grant. In particular, you should be able to present an employment contract with a certain minimum salary and be able to work that is commensurate with your qualifications.
If you were obliged to attend an integration course when you first issued your residence permit, this will be taken into account when renewing your residence permit. If you have not yet taken part in an integration course, the Foreigners' Registration Office may reject your application for an extension of the residence permit. If you have not yet completed the integration course, the residence permit will only be extended by one year until you successfully complete it or provide proof that your integration into social life has taken place elsewhere.
In the event of renewal, your EU Blue Card will be limited again.
The Blue Card is extended for a maximum of four years. If the duration of the employment contract is less than four years, the EU Blue Card is extended for the duration of the employment contract plus three months.
The Blue Card cannot be renewed if this has already been ruled out when it was issued or last renewed.
- Passport or passport replacement
- EU Blue Card
- Proof of subsistence:
- Copy or original of the employment contract (to be submitted only in case of amendments)
- Proof of income for the last three months
in the event of a change of employer: specific job offer (please use the nationwide uniform form
Declaration of Employment Relationship) or an employment contract
- Current biometric photo
- Current registration certificate
- Proof of your health insurance
- In case of obligation to participate in the integration course: certificate of successful participation in the integration course or other proof of integration efforts
Declaration of employment (uniform nationwide); further authority-specific forms can be obtained from your immigration office, if necessary these are also offered online
- Online procedure occasionally possible
- Written form required: yes
- Personal appearance required: yes
- You have a recognised and valid passport or passport substitute as well as the valid EU Blue Card.
- Your EU Blue Card will expire in the near future.
- There is no interest in expulsion against you.
- You can secure your livelihood and health insurance coverage from your income without using public benefits.
- Your stay does not endanger or adversely affect the interests of the Federal Republic of Germany.
- You have a specific job offer or an employment contract with the same or another employer.
Your salary will reach at least 2/3 of the contribution assessment limit in the pension insurance, in the case of shortage occupations (natural scientists, mathematicians, engineers, human physicians, IT specialists) 52% of the annual contribution assessment limit. For the year 2020, the annual minimum salary in regular occupations is 55,200 euros, in shortage occupations 43,056 euros.
The amount of the contribution assessment limit is announced each year by 31 December of the previous year by the Federal Ministry of the Interior, Building and Community in the Federal Gazette.
- The employment carried out must be commensurate with the qualification.
The Federal Employment Agency has agreed to take up work (consent is usually obtained from the Foreigners' Registration Office).
==References====External links== Their working conditions (in particular salary) are comparable to those of a German employee in the same position.
- If necessary, you have a professional license (e.B. license to practice medicine as a pharmacist).
§ 8 Abs. 1 i.V.m. § 18b Abs. 2 AufenthG
§ 39 Residence Act
The extension of your EU Blue Card must be applied for at the immigration authority responsible for your place of residence.
- Depending on the foreigners' registration office and concerns, it may be possible to apply via the Internet. Find out whether your immigration office offers the electronic application for the EU Blue Card.
- If the application is only possible in person, make an appointment with the Foreigners' Registration Office.
- During the appointment, your application will be accepted and your proofs will be checked (please bring them with you to the appointment). Your fingerprints will be taken for the issuance of the EU Blue Card.
- In the event of an electronic application, the Foreigners' Registration Office will contact you after receipt of your online application in order to arrange an appointment for an interview at the Foreigners' Registration Office. During the appointment, your proofs will be checked (please bring them to the appointment) and your fingerprints will be taken for the issuance of the EU Blue Card.
- If your application is granted, the Foreigners' Registration Office will arrange for the EU Blue Card to be issued.
- After about six to eight weeks, you can pick up your Blue Card at the Foreigners' Registration Office.
- Fees apply for the renewal of the EU Blue Card. The timing and form of payment vary depending on the authority.
Responsible for the content
Ministry of the Interior and Municipal Affairs of the State of Brandenburg
Last update or date of publication