Nursing children Unfortunately this specification of service has not yet been completely translated.

The majority of all children and adolescents in Rhineland-Palatinate grow up at home and are lovingly educated, accompanied and supported by their parents. To give your children a good start in life and to see them grow up healthy is an important concern and a great wish for parents. However, there may be situations in life in which parents can no longer take over the education of their children due to their own stress, mental illness, addiction to addiction. In these cases, in addition to accommodation in a child and youth welfare facility, there is also the possibility to accommodate a child in a foster family for a certain period of time. There are different forms of nursing homes: Full-time care (permanent care relationship) Short-term care (care relationship for a shorter period of time), Special care (care relationship for children with special needs) On-call care (short-term admission to nursing due to acute emergencies or crises) Relationship care (care relationship within the family, e.g. grandparents, uncles, aunts, etc.) Host families (often used for unaccompanied minor foreigners). The Nursing Children's Service of the Youth Office examines and mediates the appropriate foster family for the child. He advises and supports both foster parents and biological parents during the period of care.

Examples of reasons that may require a child to be placed in a foster family: Parents can no longer care for their children due to a serious illness or accident. Parents are in a serious crisis due to external circumstances such as unemployment or separation and divorce. Parents are unable to provide adequate care for their children due to stress factors such as mental or addictive illnesses. The parents are dead.

Families who intend to take in a foster child will need a nursing permit from the local youth welfare office.
First of all, the Youth Office examines support options in the family of origin, with the aim of enabling parents to provide adequate care for their child again. These so-called family support measures (e.g. counselling, social pedagogical family support or other assistance) can also be granted over a longer period of time. If the parents of origin are still unable to provide adequate care for the child due to existing problems and conflicts, it may be better, in the interests of the best interests of the child, to take the child out of the family first and to place it in a foster family or a child and youth welfare institution. This should be done in agreement with the child and parents until the family situation has stabilised again. If there is a risk to the welfare of a child, the Youth Office is obliged to take the child into care and to place it in a suitable case. This requires a decision of the Family Court.

Responsible for the content

Last update or date of publication